Multi-purpose concepts

rkmdogs

I'm curious, and maybe someone can enlighten me.

What killed the Envoy XUV concept, yet the Avalanche and Escalade are doing well!

I would think that a mid-size multi-function truck would have solved many needs in the marketplace.

Was is overpriced? Did it not perform its multi-tasks well? Did it have any

mechanical or functional problems?

In that vein, many people have asked for the Nomad concept vehicle..... and

GM continues to ignore them, yet it has built 3 iterations of the concept, since

the '55-'57 Nomads. It even built a Nomad van for a while, and then discontinued it. Why? Do multi-function vehicles compromise too much?

Why hasn't a Colorado-sized version of the Avalanche even been tried?

The old AMC Wagonaire Traveler had a big draw, but the company didn't!

In this time of revival, how about one of these types, not the SSR please!

Posted Image

Posted Image

:yes:

Edited by rkmdogs

What killed the innovative Envoy XUV is slow sales and high prices. Honestly, it was a little too big I think, but a nicely-styled, unique vehicle that was prematurely killed, IMO. Of course, the 1963-65 Wagonaire didn't do well either, especially when Studebaker Motor Car Corporation deceased after 1966 as a whole.

It's actually a Studebaker Lark Wagonaire, not AMC.

180181[/snapback]

Oops!... Yep!, sorry about that!

Old age getting me you know............. :(

What killed the innovative Envoy XUV is slow sales and high prices.

Is that like what came first, the chicken or the egg? Maybe the high prices caused the slow sales?

Honestly, it was a little too big I think, but a nicely-styled, unique vehicle that was prematurely killed, IMO.

Of course, the 1963-65 Wagonaire didn't do well either, especially when Studebaker Motor Car Corporation deceased after 1966 as a whole.

DUH! It is sorta hard to sell a product when the company that made it isn't there

any more! Sorta like buying Dodo bird eggs..... first you gotta find a Dodo laying eggs!

180184[/snapback]

:duh:

Didn't the Wagonaire leak like a bitch?

Anyway, I could see the XUV being more of a success with a simplied manual operation top and midgate system as an option on the SWB Envoy.

180198[/snapback]

I don't know about leaks on the Wagonaire, but it did have a cloth, not a metal top.

Maybe you have a point on the simplification of the operating systems for the

roof and midgate features...... but GM seems to have an attitude that you can

add all the electronics you want.... cause the dumb buyers love electronics!

That's why you are forced to take satellite radio and On-Star--- even when you specifically say you don't want them! They are after market cash-buckets for the

General!

Regarding the size point, the Envoy XUV did not appear to be any bigger than

a Colorado crew -cab model! Why would someone say that it was too big?

It was smaller than a full size pick-up, or the Avalanche!

8)

I'm pretty sure the Wagonaire was available with both canvas manual and solid power rear roofs-I don't remember-I know AMC and Willys better for independent makes. And I meant I thought Envoy XUV was too big when compared to the regular-size Envoy, thus saying XL was a bit oversized as well. You asked why the truck didn't sell, and I told you! I never said I'd tell you in order!

I'm pretty sure the Wagonaire was available with both canvas manual and solid power rear roofs-I don't remember-I know AMC and Willys better for independent makes. And I meant I thought Envoy XUV was too big when compared to the regular-size Envoy, thus saying XL was a bit oversized as well. You asked why the truck didn't sell, and I told you! I never said I'd tell you in order!

180224[/snapback]

I cannot find any evidence of a solid opening roof. Maybe Harley has some info.

O.K., compared to the regular Envoy, you felt or feel that the XL was too big.---

but the XL was created to add the 3rd row of seats! And it was still smaller than the

Tahoe!

Again, looking at concept function, the Avalanche/Escalade are bigger than the

XUV, and cost more!...... but they sell!

Maybe the XUV did not meet marketing expectations or forecast volumes. I don't know. Again, it was a typical GM move---- when you have something unique in

the market, cancel it before it can reach its potential! They have a history of it!

Corvair, Fiero, B-body Impala SS, Camaro & Firebird---- do I need to go on?

Not trying to put you on the spot MBD, but someone should be able to give us

some specific reasons, instead of our blind speculations. Some one who

knows what is going on, please speak up.

Hold on! Late incoming report. I just found another pic of the Wagonaire that seems to be showing a metal top. Hard to tell. Other pics have shown pleats

in cloth top. Maybe they did have both?

Posted Image

:scratchchin:

Edited by rkmdogs

There also was a solid-roofed conventional Lark 5-door station wagon too-3-doors and Panel Delivery styles as well, but that was around 1959-61.

Few people understood the concept, or didn't see the connection between owning one, and the practical use that was intended for it. This, as I saw it, mostly because the marketing for the vehicle was absolutely pathetic.

'Hey look! Our "XUV" does this! Ain't that neat?!'

Response? 'Hmm, yeah...wait, wtf is an XUV?'

I also believe I read somewhere that people were disappointed in that the XUV didn't offer a 3rd row of seats (especially since it was based on the long wheelbase XL that did offer 3 rows of seating). I liked the concept, not the execution. If the regular length Envoy had a retractable roof, that's the one I would have leased in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...

The XUV's proportions were off and cost. Motsly cost. Why buy something like that when you could have a decked out Avalanche? And how many times do you haul something that tall that you have to open it up?

Edited by BuddyP