Met up w/C&Gers on the road

As most of ya'll know, I've been back from my weekend mini road trip to IN-OH-PA-MI last weekend, Aug 11-14, around my family reunion in Holsopple PA on Saturday, Aug 12. I had a great time (despite Dad's health issues that developed Sunday afternoon while I was en route to Toledo OH). I'm already looking forward to my October road trip out west through AR-TX-OK-KS-MO-IA-WI ... and even my trip east in 2007 (around the MC Nationals and Monte MadneSS, if both are indeed scheduled for back-to-back weekends).... But, for this trip, as usual, I met a few people along the way and learned a thing or two ;).

Indiana (Friday morning)

...Tammy (college friend; Warsaw, about 9:15a, along US 30)

...Jeff (2nd gen MC, IL MC grp; Columbia City, about 10:45a, along US 30)

Ohio (Friday night in Smithville, arrived about 3p, along RT 585)

...Keith & Kelly (college friends) ... stayed with them overnight. We had dinner at CiCi's, a pizza joint.

Pennsylvania (Saturday afternoon; Saturday night/Sunday morning breakfast at an Eat'n'Park in Pittsburgh)

...family at the reunion in Holsopple PA, noonish until about 4pmish

...Dan (FGMC)

...Frank (MCSS)

...Drew (C&G)

...Rob (FGMC) ... stayed with Rob and his wife Saturday night

Pennsylvania (Sunday morning)

...Christian & Jill (ValveReplacement; W View)

Ohio (Sunday afternoon)

...Bill (ChevyTalk & El Camino Central; Toledo, about 2p, along I-75 N, just north of the OH Turnpike)

Michigan (Sunday night, at Pasquale's Restaurant, Royal Oak)

...Rosie (MI MCs)

...Mark (MyMonte)

...Andrea (2000mc)

...Brandon (2000mc)

...Scott & family (RaceDayNews)

...Leo & Sue (FGMC)

...George & wife (Carnuts.us)

...Gianh & Ben & boys (friends, used to live in Elgin)

...Frank (C&G)

...Russ (C&G)

...mightymouse (C&G)

...many others (about 20+ people total), including from the MI MC group!

...Pete & Donna (FGMC) ... stayed overnight with them.

Don't believe I left anyone in particular out.... I know some people weren't able to be at any of the gatherings...sorry I missed seeing you!

I discovered...

...I really need a new job ... one that includes traveling.

...you never have enough time to visit with family & friends; strangers are friends you have yet to meet....

...getting on the road by 5a and 6a during a road trip is easier than getting up early for work everyday.

...RT 30 through Indiana and Ohio is actually a pleasant drive.

...blowing bubbles is fun & relaxing, even when kids are trying to pop the bubbles you blow.

..."Phase 10", a card game, is fun and frustrating ... at the same time.

...today's PEZ candy dispensers are cooler and have more detailed styling than the ones I had growing up....

...magical memories, from childhood to the recent past to today, which are with us forever, always seem to flood back the most when with family.

...it is tough having to say "see you next time" to family that you see once or twice a year....

...the Pontiac Beaumont (Canada's version of the Chevrolet Chevelle) is sweet looking in person, as is the brand new Pontiac Solstice (saw both, among other awesome cars, at a cruise night near Pittsburgh PA Saturday night).

...a '77 Buick handles and rides very comfortably ... as does a certain '70 MC ;).

...Pittsburgh streets are both exhilerating and challenging to navigate....

...the Ohio Turnpike isn't all that expensive.

...a Wendy's Frosty tastes great when visiting with friends.

...MI has some of the finest cars during "Woodward week".

...the new Camaro is cool to see in person, but I'm not sure I'm keen on the slogan: "When you were great in a past life, you come back as yourself." Admittedly, it is a cool slogan ... but, it could be a "slap in the face" to enthusiasts of the Impalas, Malibus, Novas and Monte Carlos ... none of which came back as themselves in the last few years......

...a group of 20+ can easily manage to find a place to eat at Pasquale's on Woodward Ave in Royal Oak MI.

...it is a thrill to cruise up'n'down Woodward Ave!

...friends & family are good to have.

...I need to put together a list of all that I've learned during my road trips ... perhaps soon, or even after my October road trip out west this year....

Excellent trip, all in all, even with Dad ending up in the hospital in PA because of a "verbal seizure" (originally thought to be a stroke). Luckily, he is back home now :). To those of you who knew about it, I appreciate the thoughts/prayers.

I'm still looking to see if people are interested in...

* Raceway Woods, Carpentersville IL:

http://www.meadowdaleraceway.homestead.com/

* going to see the movie "Cars"

* Volo Auto Museum, Volo IL:

http://www.volocars.com

* a weekend cruise (along IL RT 20 W ... RT 52 S ... I-80 E ... RT 84 N, back to RT 20; or maybe cruising RT 66 in IL for a little ways)

* meeting up at the CHD Outing on Saturday, Sep 16, Sandwich IL:

http://chdquilt.org/jasonmemorialgolf.html

* meeting up while I'm at Manchester College (N Manchester IN) for Homecoming and my 10-year college reunion, Friday-Sunday, Sept 29-Oct 1.

* meeting up during my "big" road trip out west in October (11-17) ... through southern IL - AR - TX - OK - KS - MO - IA - WI.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

"Don't let your life pass you by" ... Sarah McLachlan ... 'I Will Remember You'

contact me when you get more info on your  oct. trip...  i'm in SE missouri if you're going through this area.

Whereabouts in SE MO are you? Near the IL border, or? I've already started a thread about this trip (something like "OCT ROAD TRIP ....") and noted that I may actually be wandering down I-55 through SE MO, but I haven't decided if I'm going that route or I-57 all the way down through IL and THEN over to I-55.....

And, Fly ... very sorry. I have a number of friends in FL ... as well as CA, MN, etc. ... that I haven't had a chance to road trip to see yet. If only I could find a job where I was traveling virtually all the time ... I'd be a bit happier ;). All in good time!

Whereabouts in SE MO are you?  Near the IL border, or?  I've already started a thread about this trip (something like "OCT ROAD TRIP ....") and noted that I may actually be wandering down I-55 through SE MO, but I haven't decided if I'm going that route or I-57 all the way down through IL and THEN over to I-55.....

And, Fly ... very sorry.  I have a number of friends in FL ... as well as CA, MN, etc. ... that I haven't had a chance to road trip to see yet.  If only I could find a job where I was traveling virtually all the time ... I'd be a bit happier ;).  All in good time!

181712[/snapback]

if you're going down i 57 and then over to i55.... you'll prolly come right through town..oh wait... looked at a map. cape girardeau about 30 mins north of where 57 hits 55

if you're going down i 57 and then over to i55.... you'll prolly come right through town..oh wait... looked at a map.  cape girardeau    about 30 mins north of where 57 hits 55

Hmmm....well, if you're in CG, that's just south of some other people who want me to come down I-55 through MO instead of I-57 in IL to I-55 in MO just above Memphis....

So, we'll see. Plenty of time to figure out which route I'm going to take. It also kinda depends on whether I get a "head start" Tuesday night ... or wait until Wednesday morning to leave home.....

And, dave, perhaps next time I'm in the Detroit area we can meet!