Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Math and cars over the years...

balthazar

-- --- -- -- --- -- -- --- -- -- --- -- -- --- -- -- --- --
1960s Arithmatic test: "A logger cuts & sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is four-fifths of that amount. What is his profit?"

1970s New Math test: "A logger exchanges a set (L) of lumber for a set (M) of money. The cardinality of Set M is 100. The Set C of production costs contains 20 fewer points. What is the cardinality of Set P of profits?"

1980s 'dumbed-down' version: "A logger cuts & sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost is $80, his profit is $20. Find & circle the number 20."

1990s version: "An unenlightened logger cuts down a beautiful stand of trees in order to make a $20 profit. Write an essay explaining how you feel about this way to make money. Topic for discussion: How did the forest birds & squirrels feel?"
-- --- -- -- --- -- -- --- -- -- --- -- -- --- -- -- --- --

I see it, anyway....

The Razoredge version - A highly observant logger harvests a muture stand of trees, as a crop, the various grades of timber are used for a varity of purposes in housing the demanding world population which has a very large economic value to the population. Now this highly observant loggers sees the younger trees seeded by their parents and realized their potential for future products and the importance of leaving them well and healthy so the forest and all its little critters can live on. I see it too, everyday Task #2 Explain how massive developement of land for housing effects the world economy. Include topics - how does this effect the total acreage of forested land and how do the critters feel about it ? I see it too, everyday!

I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay. I sleep all night. I work all day. Mounties : He's a lumberjack, and he's okay. He sleeps all night and he works all day. I cut down trees. I eat my lunch. I go to the lavatory. On Wednesdays I go shoppin' And have buttered scones for tea. Mounties: He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch. He goes to the lavatory. On Wednesdays he goes shopping And has buttered scones for tea. Chorus : I'm (He's) a lumberjack, and I'm (he's) okay. I (He) sleep(s) all night and I (he) work(s) all day. I cut down trees. I skip and jump. I like to press wild flowers. I put on women's clothing And hang around in bars. Mounties : He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps. He likes to press wild flowers. He puts on women's clothing And hangs around in bars?! Chorus : I'm (He's) a lumberjack, and I'm (he's) okay. I (He) sleep(s) all night and I (he) work(s) all day. I cut down trees. I wear high heels, Suspendies, and a bra. I wish I'd been a girlie, Just like my dear Mama (or Papa in later versions) Mounties : He cuts down trees. He wears high heels, Suspendies, and a bra?! Chorus : I'm (He's) a lumberjack, and I'm (he's) okay. I (He) sleep(s) all night and I (he) work(s) all day. Yes, I'm (He's) a lumberjack, and I'm (he's) ok-a-y. I (He) sleep(s) all night and I (he) work(s) all day.

Nick version: Nick comes across a large, full grown forest. He realizes wood is a much needed natural resource and knows there could be some big profit tied into this. So, in turn he hires a bunch of cheap labor to cut and sell the lumber for him in the end giving him a 95% profit return...

I wonder if my point (vs. cars) is being lost in all the fun with loggers: 1960s Arithmatic test >< 1960s cars: Simple, straightforward, user-friendly, engineered with common-sense. 1970s New Math test >< 1970s cars: The beginning of needlessly-confusing a well-engineered system. 1980s 'dumbed-down' version >< 1980s cars: A really sad period for motor vehicles. 1990s version >< 1990s cars: A different, more touchy-feely type of namby-pamby sadness that continues to get farther away from where things should be. ;) Edited by balthazar

--  ---  --  --  ---  --  --  ---  --  --  ---  --  --  ---  --  --  ---  -- 
1960s Arithmatic test: "A logger cuts & sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is four-fifths of that amount. What is his profit?"

1970s New Math test: "A logger exchanges a set (L) of lumber for a set (M) of money. The cardinality of Set M is 100. The Set C of production costs contains 20 fewer points. What is the cardinality of Set P of profits?"

1980s 'dumbed-down' version: "A logger cuts & sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost is $80, his profit is $20. Find & circle the number 20."

1990s version: "An unenlightened logger cuts down a beautiful stand of trees in order to make a $20 profit. Write an essay explaining how you feel about this way to make money. Topic for discussion: How did the forest birds & squirrels feel?"
--  ---  --  --  ---  --  --  ---  --  --  ---  --  --  ---  --  --  ---  -- 
I see it, anyway....

[post="13415"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This explains the NW well.