Targeting Toyotas--thanks Fly!

cmattson

Got into a car accident today. I was taking a left leaving a shopping mall & the car (an '02 Sienna minivan -> damn yota's) across from me ran his stop sign. My '04 Malibu took it in the passenger front-corner -- HARD. Both airbags deployed (what a treat that was -- do you like smoke?). Bumper was crushed, hood caved in, fendor damaged. For those that aren't familiar with the Malibu, the pass.-side airbag is hidden behind the dash -- and when it deploys, it punches a hole in your dash to explode outward. I calc $3k in parts on the inside of my car alone (2 airbags + dash + labor). Car was still drivable -- but it did get pounded -- and NO I didn't take pictures. Progressive had me drop the car off at their service center, where I picked up a rental car (covered by my ins. policy for all of $9 every six months). Anyways, I get home from work today & I check out my claim online & guess what? "Car is considered a total loss". Ouch. I'm still shocked. Nobody @ Progressive has any additional info tonight. I've gotta wait & talk to my claims adjuster tomorrow.

This sux. The car was easily the most boring ride I've ever owned. It was also reliable as hell & I could barely get the gas mileage below 32 mpg--even when I beat the crap out of it. I routinely got 34-36mpg, with a 75%hwy/25%city mix -- and half of those hwy miles were of the stop-and-go rush hour variety. Apparently Progressive uses the NADA retail value as a base; which roughly means $10,800 -- and I'm certain they'll find a way to adjust it downward from there. I'm not certain what I'll do. I'm probably not in a position to buy new, so I'll hafta start trolling used cars. What a pisser.

Edited by cmattson

mattson, look at an Aura XE. my buddy gets 30+ with his malibu v6 (admittedly mostly highway) but the XE is close to 20g and still gets good mpg.

or go wpb and get a maxx this time! equinox/torrent might work for you too.

the G6 4 cylinder SV1 is a nice idea as well, since you like the 4 cylinder. A really nice idea.

Vue greenline?

Be sure to consider new with the new 100k powertrain wty for 07.

i bet there are plenty of new 06 Malibu 4 cylinders on lots with big discounts that would make it affordable. Some of the 4 poppers now have remote start and side airbags.

look at it as an opportunity to go car shopping and enjoy it. and hey some nice 1 and 2 yo cars may pop up also.

Edited by regfootball