Nissan to shift 2 cars out of U.S.

Flybrian

Nissan to shift 2 cars out of U.S.

Associated Press

Posted Image

Link to full article @ DetNews.com

TOKYO -- Japanese automaker Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. plans to move production of two vehicles to Japan from the United States to save costs on automobiles produced in smaller quantities, according to a news report Sunday.

Nissan will move production of the Quest minivan and the Infiniti QX56 sport utility vehicle from the company's plant in Canton, Miss., over 2008-09, Japan's Nihon Keizai business daily said. The paper did not identify its sources.

Nissan said it sold 40,000 Quests and 15,000 QX56s in North America in 2005.

The Mississippi plant's pickup truck production would increase.

Guest YellowJacket894

The Quest and QX56 should both be dropped. The Quest is the best-looking minivan design, however the price and performance are both poor. As for the QX, it was just redundant to start with -- not much different from the Armada in design. Nissan should take notes from GM with the Escalade and Tahoe if they want to figure out how to make two SUVs from the same platform "same but different."

I'm sure the infamous quality problems these vehicles have had did not factor into the decision.

200657[/snapback]

They have improved (not by enough, I guess though). Infiniti had said though that the next QX would not be an Armada reskin (IIRC) so this may be just speeding up the process.

The Canton workers are less green than they were in the beginning but IMO, it seems they really shouldn't have been entrusted to build all four of Nissan's then-new big truck product.

Why does Infiniti even need something like the QX? Why not a three-row FX?

200700[/snapback]

I believe that's were the Kuraza concept comes in. The current QX was meant as a sort of stop gap until a more serious (for lack of a better word) big SUV effort was released. The Kuraza previewed what kind of effort that would be when the QX56-successor comes to light.

I wouldn't expect the body to look like that. Aside from the grille, wheels and maybe the headlights, it doesn't fit in with the current Infiniti design language (see new G, M and Coupe concept). Plus, it's just too crazy (Six doors [seven if you count the rear]? WTF?).

Posted Image

I wouldn't expect the body to look like that. Aside from the grille, wheels and maybe the headlights, it doesn't fit in with the current Infiniti design language (see new G, M and Coupe concept). Plus, it's just too crazy (Six doors [seven if you count the rear]? WTF?).

Posted Image

200734[/snapback]

Wow, very interesting. It looks like some Californian architect sunshine lounge thing.

The Quest and QX56 should both be dropped. The Quest is the best-looking minivan design, however the price and performance are both poor. As for the QX, it was just redundant to start with -- not much different from the Armada in design. Nissan should take notes from GM with the Escalade and Tahoe if they want to figure out how to make two SUVs from the same platform "same but different."

200664[/snapback]

Quest's performance is not poor. It matches the accelration of the class leaders and is one of the sportiest and best handling vans. Its problem is its ugly. It drives a bit nicer than the new Sedona.

Guest YellowJacket894

maybe you should be dropped...

200667[/snapback]

:confused0071:

Oh, really now?

And I guess you didn't get the memo: you're not in RDM. I can't make you get rid of your sig, but I strongly advise it.