Not Easy....

>> For a 12-year period, what particular post-war American vehicle's base price never rose above the initial year's tag?

>> For a 12-year period, where, when & why were a particular group of vehicle's trunks welded shut to comply with 'wheres' regulations?

>> What popular compact vehicle took (legally purchased) it's name from a hearse?

>> Name the year & make who offered the first automotive A/C.

>> Name the year & make of the first American internal combustion automobile.

>> A particular vehicle set a closed-course speed record that stood for over 20 years, earning the track the moniker "Worlds Fastest Speedway". Name the track.

>> For a 12-year period, what particular post-war American vehicle's base price never rose above the initial year's tag?

Nash?

>> For a 12-year period, where, when & why were a particular group of vehicle's trunks welded shut to comply with 'wheres' regulations?

NASCAR, 1950s?

>> What popular compact vehicle took (legally purchased) it's name from a hearse?

Cavalier?

damn I know this.... Buick? Packard?

I should know this but I know it's obscure...

>> A particular vehicle set a closed-course speed record that stood for over 20 years, earning the track the moniker "Worlds Fastest Speedway". Name the track.

DAYTONA?

A little poking around on Google will turn up most of these but

I'm not in the mood to cheat & I don't have the time right now.

For a 12-year period, what particular post-war American vehicle's base price never rose above the initial year's tag?

PACER

Buick

1893 duryea

Talledega

202590[/snapback]

Since you didnt say anything about being mass produced, how about the 1878 Selden Road Engine?

Edited by Olds Guy

Bonneville: no. Bonneville would also be considered a 'non-closed' course.

Seldon was not what I was looking for- have a date handy?

EDIT: Did Seldon actaully build a working auto in 1878, or merely file a patent on the idea (not granted until 1895 due to Seldon's delay tactics)? Online sources seem to say tho he built an engine, there was no car to go along with it until later: the patent was for the engine and it's USE in a car.

Auto I'm looking for I've seen a photograph of (it was built) and I've seen more than 1 source refer to it's year of manufacture, not to mention it was mentioned under oath in unrelated court testimony. It ran under it's own power, and this was before Duryea.

Edited by balthazar

DAMNIT! ;)

Answers for the unanswered:

Cadillac Eldorado, 1959-1970 In '59, price of either the hardtop or convertible was $7401. Wasn't until the '71 convert that the base price was higher ($7751). This always struck me as weird because it was NOT a low-priced car to begin with and from '61-66 all Eldos were converts- lots of potential for inching the price up.

1941-1952 NYC taxi regulations required a trunk rack and all taxi's trunks were welded shut. I don't know any more on this one without research, don't seem to make much sense.

Henry Nadig of Allentown PA built a running, drivable internal-combustion car in 1890 or 1891, after starting experimenting in 1889. In the late '90s he built a handful of trucks, but perhaps more than anything he neither patented or published his accomplishments, and the Nadig has slipped thru the cracks of general knowledge. I have 1 pic of the car in later years & in disrepair. Googling revealed a transportation museum due to open in PA in 2007 will have on loan the remains of the Nadig car.

Packard Proving Grounds. Packard had a 2.5-mile banked concrete oval in addition to the standard assortment of car testing roads, etc. A 1928 Miller Special set the record @ 148 MPH.

Edited by balthazar

Hmmm... 1959 to 1971 was not an era of positive change for

most cars. I'd rather have a 1959 over any of the others...

and then a 1961 and then 1962...