my digital art.

lakefire

Well guys. I got bored this weekend and created a couple of pieces of artwork; all digital of course. I have a contemporary style and prefer clean lines. But first I had to create my signature to apply to all my pieces. The only real difference in the artwork is the colors.

My Art Signature:

http://lakefiredesigns.com/images/ericsignature.pdf

My Digital Paintings:

http://lakefiredesigns.com/images/stripes1...06_version2.pdf

http://lakefiredesigns.com/images/stripes10-15-06.pdf

Let me know what your thoughts are.

That signature... Did you just scan that in at an extremely high resolution, or is it vector?

If vector, how did you do that?  8)

205460[/snapback]

It's a vector. I created it in illustrator using the paintbrush tool (and charcoal selection). Using a good ole mouse at that. Took me a few tries for each character until I got the one that I liked. Then I would resize, move, and adjust it until I got it to my liking. I have actually grown quite fond of illustrator and find vectors really freaking cool.

Edited by lakefire

Honestly?  $25-$40 at Target.

Digital art goes for far less than non-digital art.

205749[/snapback]

Break out a ruler/masking tape and some paint and you can make one yourself :P

That is my beef with this style of "art" It takes ZERO skill to make it. If you can draw straight you can make art. Hell, I've seen a blank canvas displayed as "art" and some "artist" wanting 400,000 for a picture of a bunch of fortune cookies in the corner of a room. It's BS Itell you! :censored:

Edited by Dodgefan

Break out a ruler/masking tape and some paint and you can make one yourself :P

That is my beef with this style of "art" It takes ZERO skill to make it. If you can draw straight you can make art. Hell, I've seen a blank canvas displayed as "art" and some "artist" wanting 400,000 for a picture of a bunch of fortune cookies in the corner of a room. It's BS Itell you!  :censored:

205936[/snapback]

Art isn't about how difficult something is to create; it's about creativity. Should you pay more for a car based soley on how difficult it was to build, or should you pay for a car based on how it looks and feels and performs? Sometimes the creativity can be the absense of things.

Art isn't about how difficult something is to create; it's about creativity.  Should you pay more for a car based soley on how difficult it was to build, or should you pay for a car based on how it looks and feels and performs?  Sometimes the creativity can be the absense of things.

206256[/snapback]

I don't qualify a bunch of colored bars creative.

Edited by Dodgefan

I must admit that contemporary visual art is too vague to be truly appreciated by the masses. This includes myself.

Lakefire: since this is art, after all, it's not necessarily meant to be taken at face value. Is there a meaning behind either of these designs?

Also, to amend to what Croc last said above, digital art (especially of this particular design) can be VERY easily forged and recreated, making it nearly worthless monetarily speaking, despite the fact that's it's actually quite pleasant to the eye. Now, if you painted the same design, someone might pay more for the original...

Also, to amend to what Croc last said above, digital art (especially of this particular design) can be VERY easily forged and recreated, making it nearly worthless monetarily speaking, despite the fact that's it's actually quite pleasant to the eye.  Now, if you painted the same design, someone might pay more for the original...

206275[/snapback]

Bingo.

They look great and I'd hang them on my wall...but they're mass-produced material. The only way you'd make any money off of them is making an absurd number of copies and selling them at Urban Outfitters and Target for $40 apiece during the back-to-school dormroom seasons.

In defense of my work these projects were designed for 36"x48" pieces to be printed on canvas material and stretched. Don't confuse this with trying to sell a digital file to people.

I think what I create and what a photographer creates can be along the same lines. It's as easy to critique my piece and say it takes 5 minutes to do this and it's just the same to take a picture of the woods.

Art is everywhere DodgeFan. I consider a Coca-Cola can design art as much as I consider a painting by Monet. What may be different is you and my perception/definition of art.

I'd like to relay an anecdote that may or may not come anywhere near this subject.

I was watching a documentary about counterfeit money, and a segment followed an artist who would replicate bills valued at $1, $5, and sometimes $10. His medium? Pencil and paper. He would spend hours at a time crafting meticulous detail onto a piece of paper, mimicking every line on a dollar bill.

Then, he'd go out and purchase items, maybe groceries or a newspaper. He would take out the bill, present it to the cashier, and plainly state that he had replicated this bill himself, that it is not real money, and asked if the cashier would accept it in place of a real bill for the sake of art. In many cases, the cashier would do just that.

I don't really have a point to this story. I'll leave it up to the reader to make his own point.

Edited by aaaantoine

In defense of my work these projects were designed for 36"x48" pieces to be printed on canvas material and stretched.  Don't confuse this with trying to sell a digital file to people.

206566[/snapback]

That's what I was assuming to begin with...

Your art doesn't need defense...it's good. But it won't be all that lucrative at all.