Electric Fan vs. Clutch Fan

tas81685

Electric Fan vs. Clutch Fan  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Electric Fan vs. Clutch Fan

• (2) 13" Electric fans
    • GM Stock Clutch Fan

could you explain why you're not happy?

I like electrics because they sap less energy from the engine.

206770[/snapback]

Actually I am not happy with the wiring (all though dealer says it is fine). Also it seems like no one has installed an electric fan in aftermarket it kind of makes me wonder why. Plus the way it is wired (and my mechanic can not think of any other way) it takes up space on the battery (which i may need in the future) and when the fan runs (about 18sec) when i shut off the truck I can not lock my doors in that period.

Actually I am not happy with the wiring (all though dealer says it is fine). Also it seems like no one has installed an electric fan in aftermarket it kind of makes me wonder why. Plus the way it is wired (and my mechanic can not think of any other way) it takes up space on the battery (which i may need in the future) and when the fan runs (about 18sec) when i shut off the truck I can not lock my doors in that period.

206777[/snapback]

yikes! That doesn't sound right!

and potentially let it warm up faster in the winter

206774[/snapback]

generally, the thermostat is closed when the engine is cold so no coolant is flowing to the radiator at that point. The thermostats generally open around 180 degrees <ymmv> and that's when the coolant flows through the radiator.

generally, the thermostat is closed when the engine is cold so no coolant is flowing to the radiator at that point. The thermostats generally open around 180 degrees <ymmv> and that's when the coolant flows through the radiator.

206785[/snapback]

well i meant. that obviously the block will wick the heat away faster if it has air moving around it , i was talking more like a an idle warmup cycle, compared to a driving warmup cycle, but if it was slow driving it could apply to that too.

This is something I've considered for several vehicles. The dual fans available to fit my '04 Suburban were fairly expensive. I wanted to do it to increase MPG and maybe free up some horsepower. I've been told many things about the benefits of (or lack there of) electric fans, but I notice that the new Subs and Yukons have them factory installed. Has to be something to them or GM wouldn't be using them on the newest vehicles. Clutch fans are still used on the heavy duty truck.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish with the fans, as to whether they're worth it or if you should be happy with them. I'm restoring my 1972 Chevrolet pickup and there will be dual electric fans on it when I'm done. As far as your issue with the doors not locking or whatever....that's crazy. Definately wrong. Have you looked at Summitracing.com ? They have the fans I looked at for the Suburban and they have technical experts that will assist you by telephone. I've had great experiences with Summit.

If you are going from a factory clutch fan to electric fans, you will not notice any MPG or performance improvements- the increases are far too miniscule. I don't think there's been a non-clutch factory fan in many decades, but only in comparison to that might you see an improvement going to electrics.