Lazy

razoredge

he sure did

Bad bad Leroy Brown & others I just cant think of, one ballad was awfully good....Operator ?

I have a 4 CD's coming that feature Tommy Bolin

Billy Cobham - Spectrum

Tommy Bolin - Teaser

James Gang - Bang

James Gang - Miami

Im slowly collecting some of the 70's hard or progressive rock that used to be around on vinyl but has, over the years been nearly or mostly forgotten.

Chicago Transit Authority

Chicago II

Kansas - Masque

Kansas - Leftoverature

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgury

we've had Deep Purples Machine Head on CD for a long time

Ive got to get my Uriah Heep albums on CD

Pre Steve Perry Journey is great stuff too

I haven't been big on British New Wave of Heavy Metal. I do have a CD by Saxon and a couple Priest songs that are pretty much required, but that's it...

I guess I'm more inclined to music from the Sunset Strip ^_^

As for Prog rock... found my ol' Rush "Moving Pictures" cassette a while back... "Analog Kid" has and forever will be one of the songs that will always be stuck in my head.

I haven't been big on British New Wave of Heavy Metal. I do have a CD by Saxon and a couple Priest songs that are pretty much required, but that's it...

I guess I'm more inclined to music from the Sunset Strip  ^_^

As for Prog rock... found my ol' Rush "Moving Pictures" cassette a while back... "Analog Kid" has and forever will be one of the songs that will always be stuck in my head.

209632[/snapback]

Theres a few more I need to get on CD

Caress of Steel

Fly by Night

Whats "British New Wave of Heavy Metal" ?

I have no Priest or Maiden currenty but I do want to get the first few recordings by both bands, also Helloween Keeper of the Seven Keys 1 & 2, also a Dio

Never was into OZZY, in fact I just put a whole perfectly good collection of his cassettes into the garbage, it was a case of old metal this guy gave me. More than one song with Ozzy singing in a row is enough to make one want to kill themselves..... :lol: It was a case of old metal this guy gave me, had an early Crue cassette...sucked, Crocus....sucked, a later Doken that I bought...sucked..in the garbage, 2 or 3 old AC/DC...sucked...into the garbage it went.

The California sound to me is anything with Sammy Hagar on it, the rest are all wannabe Sammys. What else would you suggest from the "Sunset Strip" ?

*Deep Purples recent "Rapture of the Deep" is a well rounded recording but maybe thats cause Im an old fart. Steve Morse has great guitar work...naturally

I'm pretty big into both New Wave of British Heavy Metal and the Sunset Strip stuff. What always amazes me is that Def Leppard was originally a NWOBHM band, even though most everything after High N' Dry is pretty much pop metal.

I have all Priest from British Steel though Painkiller, with the exception of Turbo...it's hard to find and I've heard it's not the greatest by them. I'd like to get some of their 70s albums, but I can never find them anywhere.

Only Iron Maiden one I got is Somewhere in Time, great album. I love the artwork on the cover.

The only stuff from the Sunset Strip bands that I don't like are the third-rate ones like Trixter and Nelson that came about at the very end of the movement. There are a lot of people who only like certain hair metal styles (heavy like Crue, glammy like Poison, poppy like Winger) but I personally like them all. I've also never understood the whole Metallica vs. Megadeth thing...they're both great bands. There's no reason you can't like both. Same with Van Halen vs. Van Hagar.

Megadeth/Metalica - I just did some reading on this and it was actually shocking. Of all the bands and people, these guys sounded like a bunch of drama queens, not what one would expect. Mustaine definantly shows the result of years or drug abuse, he's delusional. Such a shame, I do prefer his style to Hetfields, Mustaine has alot more boggie in him.

The pop metal bands had to many "less than" songs and I find it hard to listen to entire recordings. Sammy/Van Halen is one of the exceptions, but I go back to the 73 Montrose release for Sammy, we anxiously awaited that. There was much writtin on it in Circus. Ronnie Montrose recieved much acclaim from Edgar Winters "They only come out at Night" LP, due to Frankenstien and Free Ride. They said he had a vocalist that was going to step up to Robert Plants relm, they were right. Sammy is the reigning King of Rock and Roll in my book.

I have a strong appreaciation for Firehouse's first two releases, they came late but had it down, adding some older almost bubble gum pop elements with great guitar struming and riffs that cut like a knife. Not always the case with the Poisons or Crue's of the scene. Most of the bands had a few excellent songs and the rest were silly fillers to get the recordings done, IMO .

I find it interesting that that link and many others on Wikipidea do not mention Savatage when they talk about early influences or those influenced. I also have a great disagreement with their inaccurate use or description of "heavy metal". Zeppelin, Purple which may have influenced heavy bands were not metal, they were "Hard Rock", I dont even remember the use of the word Metal at that time. I dont even remember them calling Sabbath metal....yet. In my book, early Uriah Heep and Black Sabbath were the first have that heavy pounding feel. A very honorable mention needs to go to Atomic Rooster "Death Walks Behind You" release - 1970, another CD I need to get, I have the LP but its shot. Zep, Humble Pie and Purple while hard and heavy were much more blues based. Queens first album was a killer too, with some early elements of "metal".

I believe all these old releases can be had through Amazon , Mustang. Like the old Priest and Maiden you mentioned. If ya ever want another good, interesting kick, pick up Black Oak Arkansas "Raunch and Roll", an extremely hot live album. It was heavy, hillbilly, rock and roll with the predecessor to Diamond Dave on vocals, Jim Dandy. We loved that record.... :lol: It was primitive and raw, but for some reason got them lots of recognition, it just worked, the title says it all.