Who was the First?

:)Northstar you are right.

Yes the Peugeot was the first and the Ford was the first mass-produced. The retractable hardtop was invented by Georges Paulin. 100 Peugeot Eclipse 402L convertibles were produced. This system and the one used by Ford are similar.

First retractable hardtop:

1937 Peugeot Eclipse

Posted Image

First mass produced retractable hardtop:

1957 Ford Skyliner

Posted Image

Not to change the subject, but Harley I know exactly where that tractor trailer in your signature is. It is located on route 50 by Ocean City, Md. and is sitting in that exact spot in the pic, and it still has the same 3 vehicles on the back of it.

[post="1194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

...lol, thats cool. I always liked car carriers as a little kid and this one had the great GM Corvair on it.

You guys into Corvairs?
I loved'em. I had a 1960 Corvair 700 Coupe. With the "Sebring" option-engine.
95hp. Only problem -- had an 800 rpm idle, and in the winter the starter couldn't spin it fast enough to start on its' own. I also order the 4-spd., but they wouldn't give it to me--- held that back for the 1961 Monza feature!
Meanwhile, drool over this one!

B) Posted Image

Definitely love Corvairs...start a thread anytime on this very interesting car.  Had not seen the above Covair before...thanks.

[post="3166"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This Corvair was partially responsible for giving Ford inspiration to make the Mustang!

BTW Fly: I would not trust most French cars to something as basic as providing part time transportation nevermind a complex folding roof. :lol: Edited by Sixty8panther