Camaro Convertible at Detroit in January?

hyperv6

Just saw our friend and #1 Camaro supporter Scott S is back on line and feeling fine after a tune up. [just had some heart work done and glad to have you back!]

Anyway they were speculating on what Camaro may show up at the NAIAS on Z28.com.

One post stated that they expected a coupe to be there only to be followed by a mention by Scott of "No Coupe".

They also had mentioned a Convertible to which nothing was said or replied to.

Silence at time can be our best clue from the Fbodfather and it may prove to watch and see if GM anounces if a Topless Camaro may appear this year.

If it does it will be interesting to see if a more production like car is shown and what clues to the production car changes we will see.

I get the feeling a Impala concept will be in the spot light but I also expect the Camaro will also be featured in someway.

It might be another good year to drive north and visit Cobo.

Hope all is well with you Scott and pray your back to full speed soon. With the new cars that are coming I think you will be very busy.

The Prius driving press says the Camaro and Challenger will be overexposed too early and the hype will be over by the time production commences.

I say let's hope for a convertible at the '07 NAIAS.  Bring it on!

216301[/snapback]

There are some in GM worried about over exposure like the SSR recieved before it hit the showroom. But I think they also do not understand that the problems was a Pick up truck that cost the price of a Vette was just not a great Idea. Now at $25K we might have sold a lot more.

:withstupid: DING DING DING!!! BINGO! Tell him what he has won...! That is completely correct! I would have loved an SSR - a useable Corvette - but the first ones came out with underpowered drivelines, Auto only, In red, black or yellow...and had horrible problems with the tops and other issues for the price range...the '05 and '06 were much better trucks but the SSR never recovered. I love my uncle's '05 Aqua Blur 6 speed. A rocket ship and a blast to drive!

:withstupid:  DING DING DING!!!  BINGO!  Tell him what he has won...!  That is completely correct!  I would have loved an SSR - a useable Corvette - but the first ones came out with underpowered drivelines, Auto only, In red, black or yellow...and had horrible problems with the tops and other issues for the price range...the '05 and '06 were much better trucks but the SSR never recovered.  I love my uncle's '05 Aqua Blur 6 speed.  A rocket ship and a blast to drive!

218779[/snapback]

I could not agree more with you. The damage was done by the press when it came with only 285 horses and 4-speed and being heavy (which it was for the smaller engine). When it got a rejuvanation with its 5.7l V-8 things had just been FUBAR. I test drove one with 6-speed at the GM's Autoshow in motion 4 times. I loved it. It had some grunt and it handled pretty well. And I will not mind to get a used one for the commute. If GM would have kept it at 35k-40k range like the Siverado SS then the story would have been different.

I could not agree more with you. The damage was done by the press when it came with only 285 horses and 4-speed and being heavy (which it was for the smaller engine). When it got a rejuvanation with its 5.7l V-8 things had just been FUBAR. I test drove one with 6-speed at the GM's Autoshow in motion 4 times. I loved it. It had some grunt and it handled pretty well. And I will not mind to get a used one for the commute. If GM would have kept it at 35k-40k range like the Siverado SS then the story would have been different.

218856[/snapback]

The typical reason of why the SSR didn't sold well because it was underpowered (at the beginning) and overpriced. But does anyone think that any two seater that starts around 40k dosen't sell a lot

The engine was not an issue even at the lower power.

The problem was price, price and price.

GM charged too much for a pickup truck that cost as much as a Vette.

I love trucks but would still pick a Vette over a pick up any day.

If they could have priced this at $25,000-$30,000 it still would not have been a runn away sales leader but it would have put the car into the market at a price where it did not compete with anything GM offered like it till the Camaro comes out.

We could have done with a lift off hard top and no carpet in the bed. Coth interio orption would have worked too. A V6 option would have worked at the right price. They still sell a lot of ZQ8 truck today with a 4 or 5 cylinder so there is a market for great handleing well priced under powered trucks.

To bad this was not the Colorado in the first place. God knbow it is betterr looking and they could have done a Cameo thing with the bed sides for the feetside.

To bad this was not the Colorado in the first place. God knbow it is betterr looking and they could have done a Cameo thing with the bed sides for the feetside.

219804[/snapback]

I like how this man thinks! :)

Before I left the AACA Fall Show in Hershey this past October, I had to make the required stop at the vistors center to stock up on some Hershey's candy for the family. While walking back to my Envoy, I noticed what at first was 3 SSR's coming around the bend with a purple-colored one leading... then four more behind them, then another five or six - must have been almost 20 that drove by me, ranging from stock to modded (one had an awesome custom paint job). I just stood there in awe as they drove by, with the last SSR driver waving.

I love my SKY, but if the SSR was priced right I might just have opted for one of those as my toy (seems more fitting, doesn't it, with me being a GM-truck fan and all?). The wife never liked them much ("too retro-looking", she said) and while I could have gotten a good deal on a leftover 2005 silver SSR as I placed my SKY order, I just couldn't give up on the SKY at this point (loaded SKY for $27K, leftover SSR without chrome pkg for $32K). I still drool at the site of one and wish they could have been marketed & priced better. And I'll never forget my drive-time in a black one at the Philly ASIM in June of '04.