HarleyEarl

Harley's Triviama IX

17 posts in this topic

The Camaro Z28 & Silverado Z71. What is the meaning of Z28 and Z71? What were the origins?

They are both option codes. Edited by ocnblu

option codes for sport option packages that were specific to that car and that truck. Edited by razoredge

This always confused me. I thought the number part after the Z was the engine liters * 10. This obviously isn't the case on a Z28 Camaro... but the Z34 Lumina was a 3.4 liter. I *thought* the Z71 was a 7.1 liter. The Cavalier had a 2.4 liter for their Z24.... I thought I had the pattern solved till I remember Camaro.

There was also a Z26 for the Beretta to replace the GTZ model. The Cavalier Z24 model was introduced for model year 1986 and it came with a 2.8 liter V-6. The Lumina Z34 started out with the Twin Dual Cam engine but later got the 3800. The Z24, Z26, and Z34 designations just tried to capture some of the glory of the Z28.

I do believe Blu is correct...I wish I had a big prize for you.;)

[post="17588"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm stayin out of this one.

I'm stayin out of this one.

[post="17753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm not even going to touch that. I had the perfect joke in mind too.

Back OUT of the gutter... here's the breakdown:

Why is it called a Z/28? Because it just so happened that when the semi-clandestine 302 powered race bred package came out as a factory option in 1967 the option code Z/27 was taken. Z/28 had no significance. None what so ever.

It GAINED significance when word on the street became:

X: "Did you hear about the super high reving high horsepower 302 cubic inch race motor that you can get in a 1967 Camaro?"

Y: "What the hell are you talking about, they don't have a 302 in the Camaro"

X: "No seriously, if you get option package Z/28 it gives you a Trans Am race package for the street, they throw in a bunch of goodies!"

Y: "What's it called?"

X: It's kind of a secret that you can get one for the street, there's no name for it. It's not like RS or SS... it's just a package that happens to be option code Z/28"

So now by 1968 when Pete Estes decides to give the Z/28 some marketing money the "Z/28" option code is so famouos it has a following. MAny gearheads know what a Z/28 is just as they know that it's very underrated and NOT a drag car, rather a race bred car for the likes of Laguna Seca and Lime Rock. So what name would suit the car better than the one already used by the gearheads and car nerds.

And thus the Z/28 is still to this day the most famous option code in history.... even though in it's first year there were no emblems, no advertising and no mention of the car in official litterature. :)

Posted Image

(Waiting for my big prize.) :P :)

Blu here is your prize, a bear and his big piece of wood. Congratulations on answering the trivia question correctly.

Posted Image

Thanks! So you're saying that bears like to bounce up and down on wood for fun? :blink:

I have heard that they sometimes enjoy this sort of thing. They can be quite playful.

Because of the popularity of the Z/28 name thy just decided to go wiht Z24 for the Cavalier (originally a 2.8 liter), Z34 for the 3.4 liter Monte Carlo... Z26 for the Beretta (2.8/3.1L) and Z71 for the Trucks since it got ot be a well known no-nonsense option package.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor