Sign in to follow this  
Camino LS6

I hate technology and it hates me

Just about 2 years ago I bought an HP Photosmart945 digital camera (about $500). It has been used lightly and always kept in its original styrofoam packaging. Well, a few weeks ago it just decided to stop working. So, I went through all of the troubleshooting procedures and ran the camera's own diagnostic tests all to no avail. I then went online and tried all of the HP suggestions there - no dice. Then, I go online with an HP tech in a live chat - we try everything without luck. Now, after investing about 3 hours of my day on this, the result is: 1) it's out of warranty 2) HP doesn't repair their cameras 3) my only options are an "upgrade" from HP of my choice of several models of their current cameras that are "refurbished" for a range of prices from just under $100 for a lesser model to nearly $300 for a higher end version with a few in between. I would have to "trade-in" my current camera to get this "deal".

So, I'm feeling like I got royally screwed on this deal. Is it unreasonable to expect more than 2 years of service from a fairly high -end digital camera? Somehow I don't think so. Right now I'm not feeling too comfortable with the idea of shelling out more cash for another HP - especially a "refurbished" one. They can't fix mine but they can sell me a refurbished one?

Something wrong here.

It turns on and all controls/buttons work as they should. The image itself is the problem as it never resolves into a clear and complete image. It jumps around and flashes and generally looks like a website that won't load, or a bad TV image. It is not just the screen either, as it captures the unresolved image on the memory card as well. Seems like a software failure, but I guess that doesn't make sense.

It turns on and all controls/buttons work as they should. The image itself is the problem as it never resolves into a clear and complete image. It jumps around and flashes and generally looks like a website that won't load, or a bad TV image. It is not just the screen either, as it captures the unresolved image on the memory card as well. Seems like a software failure, but I guess that doesn't make sense.

My Canon is nearly 3 years old, was dropped last year in Rio and still works flawlessly. It is my 2nd Canon. I bought an Olympus 35mm about 15 years ago that gave me nothing but grief until I threw it off the balcony window from a hotel in Atlanta. Most technology is disposable these days. Ever try to get a printer fixed? Why bother when you can buy a new one for $99?

HP is pretty skimpy on their initial warranties. What you can probably do is purchase one of their extended warranties (if available for the Photosmart 945), then call in the repair. I did the same thing with my IPAQ, which had the touch screen stop working a little less thana year after I bought it. The three year next day replacement extended warranty cost $99 for that unit, and I know the repair would have cost more than that.

I see the problem. You have it switched to the "impressionist art" setting.

Holy $h!...

Well the only time Ive ever seen a file come out of a camera looking that jacked up is when its been accidentally dunked.

That's not a problem you fix I dont think. For your next camera, stick to Canon or Nikon. The Canon powershots especially are good little cameras.

Edited by CD/BP

Holy $h!...

Well the only time Ive ever seen a file come out of a camera looking that jacked up is when its been accidentally dunked.

223908[/snapback]

What exactly do you know about photography?

Holy $h!...

That's not a problem you fix I dont think. For your next camera, stick to Canon or Nikon. The Canon powershots especially are good little cameras.

223908[/snapback]

Crap!

I had a feeling you would say something like that. The camera has never been wet, or abused in any way(although that is starting to sound like a good idea).

I'm really stuck because the only choice I have to get some credit out of this thing is to take HP's offer on "refurbished" cameras. Otherwise, I'm out the $500 I spent on this one and whatever the new one costs. :angry:

These are my options on the refurbished HPs (trading mine in)

Photosmart 945 (same model) $179.99

M425 $96.99

M525 $111.99

Photosmart R927 $226.99

I haven't researched these yet, but I guess I'll have to take one of these options.

:censored:

Boys!  Focus! :AH-HA_wink:

223917[/snapback]

Yes dear its that ring on the end of the lens.

I guess you could get the HP and then just sell it on ebay.

Edited by CD/BP

I mean its almost definitely a hardware issue and not a firmware thing. It most certainly isn't a setting that's wrong on the camera or anything like that.

Did they have you reload firmware or anything?

I mean its almost definitely a hardware issue and not a firmware thing. It most certainly isn't a setting that's wrong on the camera or anything like that.

Did they have you reload firmware or anything?

223922[/snapback]

NO! Any hope there?

Well, I dont think so. Seems to be hardware thing. The senors themselves might be going bad for whatever reason or the circuits between the sensor and the memory card.

If it was a software/firmware issue. The camera probably wouldn't even turn on, or youd get an error message. If the hardware starts to go a little bad, you get something like youre getting.

I wouldn't even know how youd go about doing that. A point and shoot camera like that might not even have user-upgradable firmware as an option. You could go back to HP and ask as a last effort there.

Edited by CD/BP

Thanks for the help man.

I knew I should have gone for one with less features.

I always seem to have better luck when I buy high quality/low feature products.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook