They Did It

Mr.Krinkle

No more trans fats in NY has been approved by the Board of Health.

Fat's All Folks

Canola and other oils are going to be used instead now. Someone brought up an intersting point to me earlier regarding diabetics...

Canola is a no-no...I havent really looked into it but diabetics are not supposed to consume canola because it is transformed into gluccose... Are we trading heart disease for diabetes? 6 or half dozen of the other??? Or more importantly- am I going to have to go to Jersey to get a decent french fry??

Dont laugh...you might be next.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

I have tried for the past few years to avoid trans fats like the plague.

But ban them? They have their purpose. Why, if I had any suspicion of a potential nuclear fallout, I'd stock my bomb shelter full of trans fats foods. They'd last forever down there.

*Reads article* Ah, it's just for restaurants. In that case, I'm perfectly fine with it. Heh... :unsure:

Edited by aaaantoine

Why does everyone assume that margarine tastes better than butter? Or that partially hydrogenated vegetable oil tastes better than the natural stuff?

Taste is almost a non issue. What we probably WILL see, though, is price increases.

Edited by aaaantoine

Everytime I see the name of this thread, I think of WIll Ferrell in Elf.

"You did it! Congratulations! World's best coffee!"

224512[/snapback]

haha one of my brothers favorite movies...

I couldnt find the original thread.

This really cannot be as big a deal as people think. NYC is not a pioneer here - the entire country of Germany has already done this.

pioneer? The entire country of Germany? This is the USofA, not Germany.

LA wasnt the first to ban smoking but like dominos it spread from coast to coast.

I could personally care less. I dont eat fast food and for the most part do my own cooking... last time this topic came up it people here were going off in all directions...I just came to update you the proposal that was passsed.

about the canola--i said i have no idea. I only know diabetics that avoid it for health reasons. Like eggs and salt this probably changes on a semi frequent basis.

Theres a bigger picture here but im not seeing it yet... :mellow:

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

Everytime I see the name of this thread, I think of WIll Ferrell in Elf.

"You did it! Congratulations! World's best coffee!"

224512[/snapback]

That is a wicked funny movie!

I think banning it is ridiculous... if people want to pay more for natural stuff they are by all means welcome, but the decision to gorge yourself on heart clogging fatty foods is your own prerogative.

224566[/snapback]

What about bread? Do you consider bread to be a heart-clogging fatty food? With trans fats it sure is.

What about bread?  Do you consider bread to be a heart-clogging fatty food?  With trans fats it sure is.

224615[/snapback]

What bread has trans fat?... :huh:

I'm not big on regulation like this, but I think it was necessary. It's not hard to eliminate those fats anyway. Denmark did it no problem.

Hell, Lays in my country eliminated Trans Fats and I still can't stop eating their chips.

And the difference in price has been measured in... pennies... in fact, price increases amounted to barely a cent... most operators didn't even raise the price because the difference between the healthier oils and partially-hydrogenated ones was so minimal.

Keep gorging!

All Frito-Lay products are trans fats-free. Canada is not special.

I don't know of any specific brand of bread, but it's a hypothetical because bread could be made with partially hydrogenated oils. I don't know of any brand that currently does, but it is very possible. The point though is that trans fats turn anything into a "heart-clogging, fatty food" even if it's just something like bread. Not just fast foods, Hostess snacks, or "junk" food.

All Frito-Lay products are trans fats-free.  Canada is not special.

224639[/snapback]

Gee, you're acting like we're your 51st state or something. :P:lol:

I had no idea Frito-Lay in the States went trans fat free. I figured Lays changed the fats, because our country is actively considering a federal ban on these products.

However, it once again helps prove that these fats can be replaced. Only one problem with this though... if Twinkies had to become Trans Fat free, would it mean they would no longer be humanities salvation in a nuclear war?

Gee, you're acting like we're your 51st state or something.  :P  :lol:

I had no idea Frito-Lay in the States went trans fat free. I figured Lays changed the fats, because our country is actively considering a federal ban on these products.

However, it once again helps prove that these fats can be replaced. Only one problem with this though... if Twinkies had to become Trans Fat free, would it mean they would no longer be humanities salvation in a nuclear war?

224647[/snapback]

A valid point inded! :P