Jump to content
  • Greetings Guest!

    CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
gumba3ah

should i get a Heavy Duty ?

Recommended Posts

hi guys, im a new user and would like to know the difference between the sierra/silverado HD and those which don't carry the HD badge.

I've owned a '79 5.7L suburban, a 7.4L suburban, a vortec 7.4L suburban and currently a vortec 8.1L suburban. all were great cars with good off road ability.

i'm about to buy a used 2003 GMC sierra 2500HD and wondering if it's worth the HD badge when it comes to: power and torque, towing, off-roading, durability, non overheating, engine life.

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

70% will be offroad and mostly sand dunes (soft sand) because i live in a desert area with an extremely hot climate. the other 30% will be hauling and towing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was there EVER an occasion where a Heavy Duty truck was a bad decision?! :D

Has it got the Duramax?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was there EVER an occasion where a Heavy Duty truck was a bad decision?!  :D

Has it got the Duramax?

225427[/snapback]

nope, the engine is the 6.0L gas engine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The HDs have heavier running gear, big radiators and auxiliary trans coolers. You should be good. Planning on some big meats, maybe a lift kit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The HDs have heavier running gear, big radiators and auxiliary trans coolers.  You should be good.  Planning on some big meats, maybe a lift kit?

225607[/snapback]

thats good to know. i own a 2001 8.1L 4x4 suburban which is quite good in hot weather and acceptable in soft sand (not the best though) but to be honest a never really tried it out fully, so what i'm really worried about is overheating and sinking in the sand. i'm planning for wider tires for the sand to help in not sinking. i might lift it up a bit. but i'm not sure what to do about the cooling system because i live in temperatures exceeding 50 celsius (120 F) and drive in the desert most of the day. but since u mentioned that they come with bigger radiators and trans coolers thats really comforting to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.