Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Spied: BMW Z9

Variance

Spied: BMW Z9

BMW is testing new prototypes for a new convertible. Whether this is the new Z4 or the more upscale Z9 is a matter of intense conjecture at this point. We originally thought Z4, but closer inspection suggests that this could be BMW’s SL-fighter–the Z9. This prototype is clearly larger than today’s Z4, but that also supports earlier reports that the next-gen Z4 would be growing up a bit to make room for an entry-level Z2 roadster.

The most noteworthy details on this prototype are the side windows–a glass-to-glass pillarless design reminiscent of the BMW 8-series and the Mercedes CL. Is that enough of a clue to prove this is the Z9?

Quite possibly, especially when taking into account the slim, sleek convertible roof that appears to be a fake canvas top glued to a retractable hard roof that’s hidden beneath. Consider that the Z9 is aimed squarely at the tin-topped SL, and is reportedly similarly equipped, and the clues further point to this as the Z9.

The Z9 program looks right on target to hit the market in 2010, as a front-engined, retractable hard-topped, high-performance alternative to Mercedes’ SL.

Winding Road

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, I know it's a BMW and it's probably a Z-Series prototype. However, I also know this is a spy shot from Winding Road. So, if they say this is a Z9, I say I catch a whiff of bull$h!.

Well, I know it's a BMW and it's probably a Z-Series prototype. However, I also know this is a spy shot from Winding Road. So, if they say this is a Z9, I say I catch a whiff of bull$h!.

Leftlane News also has this on their page, if that makes it any more valid.

I'm interested in this one. Even if it turns out to be a Z4-successor, I want to see how Bangled it'll be.

Edited by DetroitNut90