GM sells 9.09M vehicles in '06

Dragon

http://www6.autonet.ca/News/story.cfm?stor...3394535-ap.html

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. said Wednesday it sold 9.09 million cars and trucks worldwide in 2006, a nearly one per cent decline from 2005, as sales in the U.S. faltered.

The world's largest automaker sold 9.17 million vehicles in 2005.

Its biggest rival, Toyota Motor Corp. of Japan, has said that it expects final totals to show it sold 9.04 million vehicles in 2006.

GM, which is struggling with lagging sales and a corporate restructuring, attributed the decline in part to planned cuts of 75,000 vehicles in daily rental fleet sales. Meanwhile, sales of Chevrolet-brand vehicles in the U.S. slowed to 4.3 million in 2006 versus 4.37 million a year ago.

GM in 2006 sold more cars and trucks overseas than it did at home. While sales contracted in the U.S., sales abroad rose roughly 7 per cent from the prior year. The company sold 4.2 million vehicles outside the U.S. in 2006, which accounted for about 55 per cent of global sales - up roughly seven per cent from 2005.

Sales grew 18 per cent in GM's Asia-Pacific market and 17 per cent in its Latin America, Africa and Middle East region.

The company is facing fierce competition from foreign rivals. Last month, Toyota set a target to build 9.42 million vehicles in 2007.

GM hasn't disclosed 2007 production estimates, but chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner has said the company has capacity to produce more than 9.42 million vehicles worldwide.

GM shares rose 15 cents to $31 in pre-market activity.

So sales are down 80k units, but 75k are from planned diminished fleet sales. excluding that, sales are only down 0.05%, so essentially, sales stayed steady.

General Motors Corp. said Wednesday it sold 9.09 million cars and trucks worldwide in 2006, a nearly one per cent decline from 2005, as sales in the U.S. faltered.

Its biggest rival, Toyota Motor Corp. of Japan, has said that it expects final totals to show it sold 9.04 million vehicles in 2006

Looks like Toyota and GM are just about even in terms of global marketshare. Looks like the prediction of Toyota toppling GM to become the biggest auto company is about to come true. It could very well happen when the first quarter production figures are announced in April.

It could be very, very close in 2007. GM could experience double digit growth in China again this year and double digits of the volumes that market now represents could offset any small drops in North America. Emphasis on SMALL drops in North America. If GM loses another 2 points of market share in the U.S. and Canada again - well, that would be the end of GM as #1 in world wide volume.

Yup. The figures include GM Daewoo.

It doesn't matter how many units they sell if they aren't making money. They need to build products people want to buy... are excited about buying... and making more money per unit than Toyota. The alternative is to continue slowly sliding into the abyss.

General Motors Corp. said Wednesday it sold 9.09 million cars and trucks worldwide in 2006, a nearly one per cent decline from 2005, as sales in the U.S. faltered.

Its biggest rival, Toyota Motor Corp. of Japan, has said that it expects final totals to show it sold 9.04 million vehicles in 2006

Looks like Toyota and GM are just about even in terms of global marketshare. Looks like the prediction of Toyota toppling GM to become the biggest auto company is about to come true. It could very well happen when the first quarter production figures are announced in April.

So a 50K per year difference between them? That isn't a lot but it is still a difference. Lets home GM Arabia and GM China can pull up the GM NA slack.

maybe its just me, but being the number one car maker isn't that big of a deal in my eyes. I'd rather see GM turning a good profit and have a good rep.

That being said, if Toyota keeps recalling cars like they are, and GM can keep building their quality, combined with GM keeping up the sales growth in the middle east and Asia, they will be back at number 1 in a few years.

maybe its just me, but being the number one car maker isn't that big of a deal in my eyes. I'd rather see GM turning a good profit and have a good rep.

That being said, if Toyota keeps recalling cars like they are, and GM can keep building their quality, combined with GM keeping up the sales growth in the middle east and Asia, they will be back at number 1 in a few years.

I hope you are right. GM most likely will lose the No.1 title this year. The momentum from Toyota Inc. is just too much for GM to overcome. GM will not resort to desperate measure just to keep its No.1 position as the global automaker. That will be a huge mistake. GM's newer product looks very good and if word of mouth gets around about GM's improved quality they could take back the No.1 spot within 3 to 4 years. Turning around negative perception does take time.

I hope you are right. GM most likely will lose the No.1 title this year. The momentum from Toyota Inc. is just too much for GM to overcome. GM will not resort to desperate measure just to keep its No.1 position as the global automaker. That will be a huge mistake. GM's newer product looks very good and if word of mouth gets around about GM's improved quality they could take back the No.1 spot within 3 to 4 years. Turning around negative perception does take time.

The way things are going for GM, I do not think GM wants to be number 1 in sales figures. For e.g. they are backing off from selling fleets, which are major volume numbers. Had they be targetting number of sales, they would not have reduced fleet sales. Let the TOY get that number one spot and also the number one spot for recall of vehicles.

Well obviously GM is down...considering a lot of their new improved products came out late in 06....

You have Aura, the new pickups, new trucks, etc.

Most of Saturn is finally out which will help

Buicks Lucerne and enclave will boost buick a little

GMC is all new

Chevy will stay steady...due to the fact that most of their new models are coming in a couple years

SAAB...i have no idea

Pontiac I think will stay the same

Hummer will stay consistent

I see 2008 being even better. :scratchchin:

The way things are going for GM, I do not think GM wants to be number 1 in sales figures. For e.g. they are backing off from selling fleets, which are major volume numbers. Had they be targetting number of sales, they would not have reduced fleet sales. Let the TOY get that number one spot and also the number one spot for recall of vehicles.

I suspect Toyota already HAS the number one spot without the overhead of number 1 volume.