Are We on the Edge of More Power from GM Engines?

From what I have been hearing and what I have been seeing I get the feeling we are about to see power from GM drivetains that we never dreamed about in the past.

I know a while back it was reported that GM drivetrain was told by Bob Lutz he had their back and to work their magic.

The numbers we have been hearing on many many engines are on the low side of what we are about to see.

I 4 engines of at least 300 HP, V6 engines of 300 + and V8 engines of 420-700+ HP are in our future from all indications.

With a new Northstar and LS3 coming these are all wee really know but indications are we can expect some suprises with engines and in HP in the next Few years up till 2010.

I think we all should start watching the engines that are coming and look for some suprises in some new models.

eh, I'm only interested in more power if it lets me do what I do now while using less fuel.

I can already get myself into a heap of trouble with the CTS and it's only at 255hp. I'd rather have the DI focus on getting me 34+ mpg and keeping the HP the same rather than getting 300hp at the same mpg.

eh, I'm only interested in more power if it lets me do what I do now while using less fuel.

I can already get myself into a heap of trouble with the CTS and it's only at 255hp. I'd rather have the DI focus on getting me 34+ mpg and keeping the HP the same rather than getting 300hp at the same mpg.

I agree - MPG is going to be all-powerful going forward. Anybody can deliver the horsepower. Doing it with high mpg is the silver bullet.

figures,

125hp corvettes anyone?

well, they can ship the cars from the factory for 150hp and 10 percent better mileage. then let me 'chip' the car to get the real intended hp back. for example. sell my G8 as a holden in AU with 362hp but sell it here with 'only 200hp' and a different chip. When i get my car i can swap the chip with one from AU and viola, screw you you legislators.

mpg is more a factor of vehicle weight and aerodynamics than it is of horsepower.

if automakers go to far in making cars lighter across the board, then safety suffers. Then I believe the safety mongers and general public will outcry and pit safety vs. mpg. And safety should and always will win out.

Now, I am not saying we should drive 6500 pound expeditions that get 10mpg. But I am saying is that we should not give up 3500-4000 pound cars that get 20mpg to try to achieve crackerboxes that weigh 2900 pounds top only get 24mpg.

legislators really need to stay out of this. gas taxes and insurance fees should be enough incentive to keep horsepower reasonable and mpg in check. why not divert some govt dollars to tech research to alternative materials to help make carbon fiber cars with wheelmotors or ceramic engines if they are serious about this and keeping mpg high (by keeping weights down).

figures,

125hp corvettes anyone?

well, they can ship the cars from the factory for 150hp and 10 percent better mileage. then let me 'chip' the car to get the real intended hp back. for example. sell my G8 as a holden in AU with 362hp but sell it here with 'only 200hp' and a different chip. When i get my car i can swap the chip with one from AU and viola, screw you you legislators.

mpg is more a factor of vehicle weight and aerodynamics than it is of horsepower.

if automakers go to far in making cars lighter across the board, then safety suffers. Then I believe the safety mongers and general public will outcry and pit safety vs. mpg. And safety should and always will win out.

Now, I am not saying we should drive 6500 pound expeditions that get 10mpg. But I am saying is that we should not give up 3500-4000 pound cars that get 20mpg to try to achieve crackerboxes that weigh 2900 pounds top only get 24mpg.

legislators really need to stay out of this. gas taxes and insurance fees should be enough incentive to keep horsepower reasonable and mpg in check. why not divert some govt dollars to tech research to alternative materials to help make carbon fiber cars with wheelmotors or ceramic engines if they are serious about this and keeping mpg high (by keeping weights down).

The only thing they should legislate and I would find acceptable are ways to cut emissions. They should force the manufacturers to publish on their stickers some kind of emissions metrics and penalize the pricing of individual models based on a ratio of mpg and emissions. It always has to go back to money somehow and consumers won't change their buying decisions based on emissions numbers unless it costs them.