GM looking to hire

Posted by Fbodfather elsewhere:

For those of you who are qualified.....here's a great opportunity ..make sure you register.........

By Terry Kosdrosky

April 12, 2007

DETROIT -- General Motors Corp., looking to ramp up its expertise in emerging technology amid mounting pressure to boost fuel economy, will use a job fair to try and fill 400 new engineering and technical positions.

While the auto maker has been shedding tens of thousands of jobs via buyouts and early retirements, there are growth areas the company has been beefing up, spokeswoman Brenda Rios said Thursday.

Wanted are engineers to fill positions in powertrain engineering, product development, fuel cells, the OnStar telematics system and information technology.

GM wants interested candidates to register for the May 5 career fair, to be held in Metro Detroit, at www.gmcareerfair.com . Qualified candidates will be invited to the job fair.

The auto maker hasn't done a "large-scale" career fair in a long time, but wants to take advantage of the Society of Automotive Engineers World Congress conference being held in Detroit next week.

"We know there will be a significant number of qualified engineers in the region," she said. Print and broadcast ads will publicize the job openings.

GM has added about 1,000 jobs a year over the past few years in those specialized areas, Rios said. But the auto maker sees an opportunity to gather a large number of qualified candidates at one time.

The auto maker's move underscores the critical nature of developing new technology such as alternative fuels and power systems as car companies face pressure to improve fuel efficiency and reduce the nation's dependence on oil.

GM in recent months has announced that it's developing a plug-in hybrid vehicle and earlier this year introduced the Chevrolet Volt concept car, a sedan that would run primarily on electric power.

"We're looking for people with the technical expertise to help us change the way the world drives," GM North America President Troy Clarke said in a statement. He added that GM is "accelerating work in emerging technologies."

Wonderful...now just if this was happening a year from now, when I was in my senior year as an ME major and not a junior. From the development of things, though, I hope the job market for auto loving engineers as myself continues to grow back up again.