Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sixty8panther

WTF is this?

11 posts in this topic

Name the year, manufacturer and what made it so special. It was not the first or last of it's type from this manufacturer but it sure as hell was one of the most interesting.

Posted Image

1977 Chrysler LeBaron Turbine. Looked a lot like a Magnum with a mid-70s Imperial grille. It forcasted the look of the '81-83 Imperial LeBaron.

As far as it being the most interesting, meh. It was the latest and greatest (and last) of Chrysler turbine technology, but it was mainly DoE-funded and Chrysler couldn't make it if they wanted since they were loosing money hand-over-fist at that time.

The 'original' '63 Turbine is far more significant because it was roadable (loaned out to about 200 families I believe), really showcased the realistic technology to the public, and was clearly a product of alot of optimism regarding the turbine car.
Posted Image

Turbines are smooth as hell, by the way, and would make the most "sophisticated" Honda or Lexus powerplants seem like they were made by Briggs & Stratton. Also, turbines can burn virtually any combustable liquid - gas, diesel, jet fuel, perfume.

The best webpage about the Turbine

I remember that silver one. Handsome car. Jeez, it's been so long though. I liked the '63, but always thought it looked too much like a Thunderbird.

No the last Fly, this ugly monstrosity is from 1980. Not sure weather it was ever shown to the public in those days.

Posted Image Edited by Sixty8panther

Meant the last iteration of that turbine plant. I belive the shitbox above used the same one.

I remember in high school I wanted a Mirada CMX something awful, with a 360. I haven't seen one in forever... a commentary on its lasting quality.

I just want to spool one up in person.

Good luck; I believe there's only 2 runners at the current time. I would settle for hearing/seeing one drive by.

As would I. :)

Before I scroll down I have to say I dont know who but is got to be the same guy that did the early 80's Imperial's but Im quessing this wasnt called an Imperial. These cars may have been the last of the razoredged cars, the 80's Imperials what do you think ?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0