Do you work well under pressure?

For a class tonight, I had to turn in a paper in the 7 to 10 page range. This is a more conceptual management class, so it had no numbers. (I like the objective ones better, actually).

Last night at about 11 pm, I started a scratch outline. This morning at 6 am, I had no paper in process. It was due at 5:30 pm. I kicked into overdrive at about 2 pm, and walked in at 5:35 pm. It's all adult-type working students, so it didn't matter. I made it.

I always get through, but I hate it. The eating at a diner and writing and all that stress to make a deadline. I always plan out "boxes of time" in advance but don't stick to them.

What about you? Do you produce more under pressure or under a laid-back timeline?

I don't get pressure, I give pressure! :smilewide:

Nothing in the world is absolute my friend. :AH-HA_wink:

My Reply

I think I work better under pressure. You need to feel that energy when time is not on your side.

I do that without any caffeine or energy drinks to keep me working. I can go 3-5 days without any sleep and not feeling zombiestic. Although after the deadline is met, my time is often spent by sleeping about 26 hours non stop (without any breaks including potty breaks) but there is fun in that too.

I also tend to come out on top if someone has the screws to me.

Not always, but usually it makes me roll up my sleves & get to work.

For a class tonight, I had to turn in a paper in the 7 to 10 page range. This is a more conceptual management class, so it had no numbers. (I like the objective ones better, actually).

Last night at about 11 pm, I started a scratch outline. This morning at 6 am, I had no paper in process. It was due at 5:30 pm. I kicked into overdrive at about 2 pm, and walked in at 5:35 pm. It's all adult-type working students, so it didn't matter. I made it.

I always get through, but I hate it. The eating at a diner and writing and all that stress to make a deadline. I always plan out "boxes of time" in advance but don't stick to them.

What about you? Do you produce more under pressure or under a laid-back timeline?

Don't procrastinate that much :AH-HA_wink:. It's ok to wait until a week before the paper is due, but the night before... ouch that's tough. A few quarters back I had two 8-10 page pagers due (English 101 and Journalism) the same day, I had all quarter but waited until a week before, and didn't really have a problem with either. I think that's what everyone did.

Pressure is a motivator, but for me, it's my drug.

The operation I manage has completed its 3.5 million dollar renovation. It was quite the experience and a whole lot of fun being directly involved in establishing just how this operation would be developed. FYI, it's a full-foods retail with a service station and laser/touchless carwash built on. Of course, it had its fair share of development snags that forced a great deal of pressure on me throughout two build shifts, so that meant a lot of extra time. Once we were setting up our opening for regular sales, I worked lengthy days with the shortest being about 16 hour days at a time, and my longest day being 20 hours. I thrived with the pressure, but I knew it was going to take a physical toll on me.

I seemed to get through alright; however, I haven't been back to my hometown to see my family in over two years, and I was basically skipping breaks and lunch periods because I didn't care to suspend my tasks when I felt like I was cookin'.

I'm very organized otherwise, with a layout of my duties that basically provides for set periods of every day of the week to get my tasks done. It's taken me about a couple of months to arrange everything here to revolve around my set schedule, and only a major crisis or a typical holiday week tends to screw with it, so it's alright. I tend to have a slight problem with micromanaging; however, since I don't mind the stress, I work better this way (so long as it's not affecting my staff in a negative way).

Nice topic subject, btw.