Chevrolet through the decades...

Pre-Chevrolet Motors-Name Thee Companies whose cars the Chevrolet Bros. Raced before starting Chevrolet

The teens-Chevrolet produced this innovation in 1917...well over a decade before Ford before abandoning it for several more decades. Hint-Chevrolet paced the Indy 500 the year this innovation came back out, and the pace car used this. (Chevrolet was not the first car company to build this, BTW)

The twenties-This Massachusets company built "woody" bodies for 1920's Chevrolet Station wagons.

The thirties-A tough one-what Chevrolet Model is the lowest regular production car model of the 1930's (specific Chevrolet pass. car model). Hint-Chevrolet built fewer of these than they did Corvette prototypes in 1983.

The thirties again-Chevrolet produced the last roadster type (no roll up side window) convertible when and where? (at least the last roadster until the 1953 Corvette)

The 40's-Speaking of convertibles-Chevrolet resumed Convertible production (after halting it) what two years in the 1940's?

The 1950's-First year for two door and foor door pillarless hardtops?

The 1950's again-Tri-power was first offered what year and on what motor as a regular production option for a regular passenger car?

The 1960's-On what car model line was the "Yenko Stinger" built?

The 1960's Again-What was the last year one could buy a 2 door V-8 RWD station wagon?

The 1960's Again-First year for 4 wheel disc brakes and the Big Block v-8 on the Corvette?

The 1960's Again-What was the last year for the 409 Motor in a regular production passenger car?

The 1960's again-I was Born on September 12, 1965. On or about my first Birthday General Motors thought I was so cool that they brought out this car...(Major G.M. car)

The 1970's-The 1973 Corvette is a unique body style for waht reason?

The 1980's-In 1983-Chevrolet brought out this car (which sold rather well) as a special edition of a regular production automobile in part because they needed the aerocynamic advantadge in Nascar?

The 1980's again-This was the last year for RWD on the Monte Carlo?

The 1990's-Chevrolet brought back this name for a special Blue and white Corvette (with a red stripe on the front fender). This name was used in the early/mid 1960's for a series of special racing Corvettes.

Current-The C-6- Corvette shares this feature with the Scion T.C. but no other Corvettes since 1962. What is this "feature"?

Hope this isn't too many questions.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

I'll try my hand at a couple of these.

The new C6 has exposed headlights

The 90s special Vettes were ZR-1s

87 was the last year for the RWD Monte Carlo

The last year for the 409 was 1965 (I believe)

Tri-power was probaby an option for the Impala for 1961 on the 283.

Unfortunately, the others I have no clue on....

I'm not going to look up or even verify anything, so these answers & guesses are all out of my head:

Pre-Chevrolet Motors-Name Thee Companies whose cars the Chevrolet Bros. Raced... -- Little is one

The teens-Chevrolet produced this innovation in 1917... -- V-8

The 1950's-First year for two door and foor door pillarless hardtops? -- 2-dr: '53, 4-dr '56

The 1950's again-Tri-power was first offered what year and on what motor... -- '58 348

The 1960's-On what car model line was the "Yenko Stinger" built? -- Corvair

The 1960's Again-What was the last year one could buy a 2 door V-8 RWD station wagon? -- '65

The 1960's Again-First year for 4 wheel disc brakes and the Big Block v-8 on the Corvette? -- '63

The 1960's Again-What was the last year for the 409... -- '64

The 1960's again-I was Born on September 12, 1965. On or about my first Birthday General Motors thought I was so cool that they brought out this car...(Major G.M. car) -- '67 Camaro

The 1970's-The 1973 Corvette is a unique body style for waht reason? -- first urethane/rubber bumpers front & rear

The 1980's-In 1983-Chevrolet brought out this car (which sold rather well) as a special edition... -- MC SS

The 1980's again-This was the last year for RWD on the Monte Carlo? -- 1987

The 1990's-Chevrolet brought back this name for a special Blue and white Corvette... -- Gran Sport

Pre-Chevrolet Motors-Name Thee Companies whose cars the Chevrolet Bros. Raced before starting Chevrolet Buick Cadillac Oldsmobile

The teens-Chevrolet produced this innovation in 1917...well over a decade before Ford before abandoning it for several more decades. Hint-Chevrolet paced the Indy 500 the year this innovation came back out, and the pace car used this. (Chevrolet was not the first car company to build this, BTW) V8, but it was not a sigle cast block (monoblock)

The twenties-This Massachusets company built "woody" bodies for 1920's Chevrolet Station wagons. Waltham

The thirties-A tough one-what Chevrolet Model is the lowest regular production car model of the 1930's (specific Chevrolet pass. car model). Hint-Chevrolet built fewer of these than they did Corvette prototypes in 1983. I was going to say Confederates.... but that aint right

The thirties again-Chevrolet produced the last roadster type (no roll up side window) convertible when and where? (at least the last roadster until the 1953 Corvette) no idea... you got my attetion though

The 40's-Speaking of convertibles-Chevrolet resumed Convertible production (after halting it) what two years in the 1940's? 46 47

The 1950's-First year for two door and foor door pillarless hardtops? 1951/1955

The 1950's again-Tri-power was first offered what year and on what motor as a regular production option for a regular passenger car? 58 impala

The 1960's-On what car model line was the "Yenko Stinger" built? Corvair

The 1960's Again-What was the last year one could buy a 2 door V-8 RWD station wagon? 1966 based on the midsize Chevelle

The 1960's Again-First year for 4 wheel disc brakes and the Big Block v-8 on the Corvette? 1967

The 1960's Again-What was the last year for the 409 Motor in a regular production passenger car? 1963

The 1960's again-I was Born on September 12, 1965. On or about my first Birthday General Motors thought I was so cool that they brought out this car...(Major G.M. car) Chevelle Malibu

The 1970's-The 1973 Corvette is a unique body style for waht reason? no split window... but split BUMPER

The 1980's-In 1983-Chevrolet brought out this car (which sold rather well) as a special edition of a regular production automobile in part because they needed the aerocynamic advantadge in Nascar? Monte Carlo Aerocoupe

The 1980's again-This was the last year for RWD on the Monte Carlo? 1988

The 1990's-Chevrolet brought back this name for a special Blue and white Corvette (with a red stripe on the front fender). This name was used in the early/mid 1960's for a series of special racing Corvettes. GRAND SPORT

Current-The C-6- Corvette shares this feature with the Scion T.C. but no other Corvettes since 1962. What is this "feature"? scion tc has nothing to do with it.... that is a insult. FIXED headlights

They also raced Fiat and Ford, although those are two F-words we cannot use here on these forums.

Suprised people got the V-8 thing for 1917, always gets me when people say the first Chev v-8 was in 1955.

Springfield Body company also made woody bodies in Mass. for Chevrolet in the 1920's.

Last roadster for Chevrolet was in 1939 in Austrailia (3 years after Fords last roadster at the end of the 1936 model year.)

1939 was the year of the lowest regular productioin Chev. model. I have to check at home but the 1939 Master Deluxe (gotta check that designation) had fewer than 70 built IIRC.

40's question-no regular Chev. ragtops were built in the USA so 1940 and 1946 (after the war).

Pillarless Hardtops, 50 for the 2 dr and 56 for the 4 dr. Having owned a 55 Chevy I thought it would be cool to own a 55 4 dr hardtop but it didn't come out until 56. Almost Almost bought a 50 2 dr. hardtop that was in sweet restored shape and kick myself to this day for not buying it.

Tri-power, 58 Impala is indeed correct Sir.

65 is the year of the last 409 (409 dropped when 396 came out) first year of big block in Corvette, First year of 4wdisc brakes on the vette, last year of v-8 2 door wagon. Chevelle is indeed the correct body line but a new bodystyle came out in 66 and chevrolet did not invest in the tooling for a 2 dr wagon. Congrats to 76 for getting that one.

Corvair is correct on the Yenko stinger, I've seen these thing s run down and pass Shelby Mustangs during vintage races at Mid Ohio, a way cool rare car.

1967 Camaro came out on either Sept 11 or Sept 12 1966 depending upon the source.

1973, Urethane/Chrome is correct again.

83 is Monte SS, Aerocoupe did not come out until 86- or 87 IIRC. I think they did build an Aerocoupe in 88 but I could be wrong. Also very rare is the Pontiac Grand Prix Aerocoupe.

Grand Sport is correct for 1990's Corvette question.

Fixed headlamps is also a correct answer.

Thanks for playing guys, I love these forums and it is cool to find other car nuts.

Chris

They also raced Fiat and Ford, although those are two F-words we cannot use here on these forums.

Suprised people got the V-8 thing for 1917, always gets me when people say the first Chev v-8 was in 1955.

Springfield Body company also made woody bodies in Mass. for Chevrolet in the 1920's.

Last roadster for Chevrolet was in 1939 in Austrailia (3 years after Fords last roadster at the end of the 1936 model year.)

1939 was the year of the lowest regular productioin Chev. model. I have to check at home but the 1939 Master Deluxe (gotta check that designation) had fewer than 70 built IIRC.

40's question-no regular Chev. ragtops were built in the USA so 1940 and 1946 (after the war).

Pillarless Hardtops, 50 for the 2 dr and 56 for the 4 dr. Having owned a 55 Chevy I thought it would be cool to own a 55 4 dr hardtop but it didn't come out until 56. Almost Almost bought a 50 2 dr. hardtop that was in sweet restored shape and kick myself to this day for not buying it.

Tri-power, 58 Impala is indeed correct Sir.

65 is the year of the last 409 (409 dropped when 396 came out) first year of big block in Corvette, First year of 4wdisc brakes on the vette, last year of v-8 2 door wagon. Chevelle is indeed the correct body line but a new bodystyle came out in 66 and chevrolet did not invest in the tooling for a 2 dr wagon. Congrats to 76 for getting that one.

Corvair is correct on the Yenko stinger, I've seen these thing s run down and pass Shelby Mustangs during vintage races at Mid Ohio, a way cool rare car.

1967 Camaro came out on either Sept 11 or Sept 12 1966 depending upon the source.

1973, Urethane/Chrome is correct again.

83 is Monte SS, Aerocoupe did not come out until 86- or 87 IIRC. I think they did build an Aerocoupe in 88 but I could be wrong. Also very rare is the Pontiac Grand Prix Aerocoupe.

Grand Sport is correct for 1990's Corvette question.

Fixed headlamps is also a correct answer.

Thanks for playing guys, I love these forums and it is cool to find other car nuts.

Chris

>>"1939 was the year of the lowest regular productioin Chev. model. I have to check at home but the 1939 Master Deluxe (gotta check that designation) had fewer than 70 built IIRC."<<

Yes: only 68 units of the '39 Master DeLuxe 4-dr sedan built. Did Chevy really build more than than 68 '83 Corvette prototypes ??

>>"The 40's-Speaking of convertibles-Chevrolet resumed Convertible production (after halting it) what two years in the 1940's?"<<

>>"40's question-no regular Chev. ragtops were built in the USA so 1940 and 1946 (after the war)."<<

'41 Special DeLuxe convertible coupe : 15,296 units

'42 Fleetmaster convertible coupe : 1,182 units

>>"1939 was the year of the lowest regular productioin Chev. model. I have to check at home but the 1939 Master Deluxe (gotta check that designation) had fewer than 70 built IIRC."<<

Yes: only 68 units of the '39 Master DeLuxe 4-dr sedan built. Did Chevy really build more than than 68 '83 Corvette prototypes ??

Only 47 (numbers at some websites vary from as low as 44 to as much as 48) known prototypes of the 1983 Corvettes were produced. So technically it is the Lowest Regular Production Chevy Model. In fact none of those were sold to the public and only one OFFICIALLY survives in the Bowling Green Corvette Museum.

Here is one comment:

CORVETTE : 1983

The 1983 Corvette is the rarest automobile on earth. It is more exclusive than the Alfa Romeo 2900B Lungo, more elusive than the Gordon-Keeble, the Facel-Vega or the Isotta-Fraschini, and more evasive than the Maybach. The '83 Corvette makes the Gaylord look like a straight eight, because... there was no 1983. To the Corvette enthusiast, 1983 does not exist. It's like when the calendar was changed from the Julian to the Gregorian system in 1582, and the day after October 4 was October 15. How annoying would that have been if you had tickets for the-big game on October 9? If that had happened in 1983, India wouldn't have taken control of the Pujab, the Chinese Communist Party people would have been spared its worst purge since the Cultural Revolution, Lech Walesa wouldn't have received the Nobel Peace Prize, the Baltimore Orioles wouldn't have won the World Series and there would have been no Thirtieth Anniversary Collector's Edition Corvette—which there isn't...

Edited by smallchevy

No regular convertibles were built in 39, so what I meant to communicate (my bad) is that 1940 restarted convertible production.

I read (probably a bad number/source on my part) that Chevrolet built 77 83 Corvettes and that 3 or 4 survive, the one in the bowling green Museum and 2-3 in Michigan.

Chris

...and it sepends upon how you define regular production. In theory G.M. built only 1 68 Z28 Ragtop (I think for Pete Estes, but I could be wrong). IIRC, the car survives to this day.

Chris

Some clarification:

The tri-power was offered on the 348 v8

The '86 Aerocoupe MCSS is very,very rare. And, I believe, they are all white. The Pontiac GP was called the 2+2 and was '86 only and very, very rare. The '87s were fairly plentiful and available in other colors. AFAIK, none were built in '88.

Wish I had caught this post earlier.