2.8L problems

It could be any one of these: - you need a tuneup...check the condition of the plugs, wires, and cap/rotor in the distributor - you have a clogged or dirty fuel filter - your carburetor needs adjustment (especially if the weather has been colder recently) - your timing might be off

I don't hink the timing is off because he says it smooths out after a while. I would look at the engine while it is running and see if it wiggles back and forth on the motor mounts alot. If it does then you probably have a dead cylinder. Let the engine warm up for a while then spray some water on each of ports on the exaust manifold. If there is a spot on the manifold where the water does not sizzle off right away, you found the dead cylinder.

[post="24541"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

wouldnt there be a noticeable lack of power if that was the case?

I think we need more information to diagnose this better.

Does it idle rough when it is cold, warm, or doesn't it matter?

What has been replaced so far on the engine?

How many miles are on the engine?

What year is the engine?

The year in the engine question is just so I can look it up in my Chilton Manual. Depending on the year there are more or fewer emissions things that could go wrong and cause the rough idle and lack of power. The EGR valve comes to mind right off the top of my head because the EGR on the 2.8/3.1/3.4 likes to get pieces of carbon stuck in itself.

[post="24577"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Idle is rough-er when cold. sometimes idle is perfectly fine however.

replaced on the engine... uhh... well replaced the whole engine a while back...

prolly 15-20k miles on the engine

origionally engine was an 83 or 84, i imagine they replaced it with an identical engine...

also, if you go around flooring it aafter a bit everything smooths out more (things so slow... you can floor it for a bit before you even hit the speed limit lol) Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

I had a 2.8 in a 1982 Celebrity so I know how the whole power thing goes. Leaked like mad but it was a darn good engine. I only wish the rear subframe would not have rusted out or I would still have the car.

That sounds like an EGR valve. The lack of fuel injection eliminates a plethora of sensors that could go bad. If the engine you got was used, I would have a mechanic give the whole thing a once over to see what else might be worn. When mechanics replace engines on stuff that old, they usually just look for an engine that was running when it was pulled and starts on the first crank. Sad but true.

[post="24641"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Engine was replaced by a GM dealer. says it was a new engine. Origional engine was lost because some inept dude forgot to put oil in it before i got it!