Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Bought a kayak

Satty

To be exact, I bought this kayak. Not the best money can buy, sure, but the color does come close to matching the color of my bike, so thats something. It'll be a good one to get some experience on, since I've only kayaked a couple of times. I wont have a chance to get it out on the lake this weekend, but sometime during the week I am definitely going out, all I need is a paddle, already have a PFD and waterproof iPod holder.

I hope you got strong arms that is not for a open lake environment that is for wide slow moving rivers. For open lakes you go long skinny enclosed kayaks. Just a heads up.

Yeah, I know, this one is pretty much going to be a toy to learn and get comfortable, like buying a beater car to learn to drive a stick. I do a bit of river floating with my friends, so this will be used on rivers quite a bit. A second kayak, more appropriate for lakes, is in the cards, but good ones are pricey, this one wasn't.

already have a PFD and waterproof iPod holder.

Is it not silly to listen to an iPod if you go Kayak-ing...?

I mean the sounds of nature is a part of the draw for

me to go out and DO outdoor activities.

I'd probably never go down river on a Kayak but if I did

go it would be on the Mohawk Trail in Western Mass &

I certainly would rather listen to the sounds of nature.

Then again I drove my '68 Camaro with no radio at all

the whole 4 years I had it, and my B-59 has never had

a functioning radio... I'm a minimalist in some ways.

I go very few places without my iPod. I agree about the sounds of nature part, but realistically all I can hear from most of the bike trails I ride is the sound of traffic. If I go to the lake, it'll be the same thing, since its right next to the trail I ride that goes under a highway or two. I did find a couple of good places on the river to go kayaking, problem is there are always a lot of people at the fishing accesses during the summer.

It's tough to enjoy the sounds of nature when urban areas are creeping in on it.

I love the sound of nature...the sound of water, birds and the wind is very soothing....the trick is finding a place that's not being uninterrupted by cars, people, and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think I've ever driven more than a few miles without the radio on, my car sounds like a weed-eater, whats the point? Anyways, I've been out kayaking a few times and the Frenzy has been very competent on the lake, the foolproof stability making up for the fact that I have to paddle like a madman to get it to keep going. Only real downside is that the fishing access I use smells like, well, fish. And no, I cannot get away from technology, in addition to my waterproof iPod case, I have a SealLine See Bag that I keep my cell phone in, and I do indeed check voicemails and send texts from themiddle of the lake. Nature is great, but gloating about spending a Friday afternoon drifting about while all of my friends have other obligations is even better.

• 8 months later...

Bought a new kayak, This one, also lime green and its great, although the lake was really cloudy so I couldn't see a damned thing out of my weiner-window. I wanted to hold off, but got it for a steal, and because it has a kid's seat, I'll be able to take Alex out with me from time to time. Its longer than my last one, which makes it an even bigger pain in the ass to throw on top of the Fusion, I really need a decent old van or wagon like now.

I have a lot of experience canoeing in Northern Ontario, particularly the Kirkland Lake area. Very peaceful. So when I went canoeing in the Alleghany State Forest about 25 years ago, was I in for a shock. Just traversing the lake was a suicide mission. There were power boats everywhere! I was just surprised that in a park like that power boats were allowed. In Ontario's Algonquin Park, power boats of any kind are expressly forbidden. So I hope you know some secluded places where you can hone your skills!

Full disclosure: I've had a power boat for years. I grew tired of portaging, sleeping on the ground, etc. But I still have a canoe lashed to a tree on a desolate island in the middle of Georgian Bay.

we got a pretty nice spot to go kayaking round here, we go to the broad river in georgi which is part of the chattooga ( not the part that kills people mind you) its about a 6 mile ride and if you aint used to it you have no arms at the end of the day, its great fun though. they have the enclosed ones and one like the new one you have but theres no window in the middle.