Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gmcbob

Saw an Impala SS rental in Houston (and a GXP Pontiac)

8 posts in this topic

In the parking lot at my work (near airport in Houston), I saw a bright red, brand new Impala SS rental. I knew it was a rental because of the bar codes on the back windows. I didn't realize GM was selling the V8 W bodies to the rental car companies. I also saw a GXP Grand Prix with the V8 as a rental too not to long ago. Pretty cool actually. I wonder if the average Joe renting one of those is completely shocked when the press the gas down and realize (or maybe not realize) that they're driving a car that can easily run with a $40,000 IS350?

It's just a unibody, FWD Crown Vic. :toiletpaper:

You'd be surprised how many of the "geriatric crowd" buy SS here at my dealer.

The W-body is more overplayed than the Macarena, can;t wait for Zeta.

I've heard a few stories, don't know if they are true, about people renting the W bodies with the 5.3 engine for a week and when they return the car at the end of the week. The engine has been swapped out of it for the 3.8 of their own W body car they have at home.

It seems like a lot of work to me, and wouldn't they have to swap transmissions too?

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I guess GM has to make something of a decent impression, because a W-Body that is anything less than an SS or GXP is literally subpar these days.

PCS:

Dude, seriously... don;t beleive everything you hear. :P

IF you did it and ALSO rewired both cars etc... on paper

sure it's possible but I'm pretty sure you can file that

with the cell phone gas station fire urban legend.

I've heard a few stories, don't know if they are true, about people renting the W bodies with the 5.3 engine for a week and when they return the car at the end of the week. The engine has been swapped out of it for the 3.8 of their own W body car they have at home.

It seems like a lot of work to me, and wouldn't they have to swap transmissions too?

Transmission is beefier for the SS than the regular model. Plus has stronger struts for the bigger engine. No way can do they do it in a week.

:lol:

I can't believe someone would waste the time.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0