Attention Brand Killers

Good read. I agree 100%

There's more than a way to get rid of a brand... Letting it die a slow and painful death is probably cheaper than announcing a shutdown of the brand.

Ford is doing an excellent job of that right now with about 3 divisions.

There's more than a way to get rid of a brand... Letting it die a slow and painful death is probably cheaper than announcing a shutdown of the brand.

That is the way to go. Let the customers see what they want. The old legalities with regards to protectionism of its small scale businesses (mom and pop dealers) will prevent dramatic closure of brands. B-P-G amalgamation may be a way to reduce one of the brands.

GM now directs resources for development and design under one umbrella and with modified earning statements all the revenue and costs are now one too. So other than number in sales and production there is no real way to tell which brand is profitable and or flogging. These ANAL-ysts do not have a clue of any markets period. They are there to BS.

Ford is doing an excellent job of that right now with about 3 divisions.

:lol:

That is the way to go. Let the customers see what they want. The old legalities with regards to protectionism of its small scale businesses (mom and pop dealers) will prevent dramatic closure of brands. B-P-G amalgamation may be a way to reduce one of the brands.

GM now directs resources for development and design under one umbrella and with modified earning statements all the revenue and costs are now one too. So other than number in sales and production there is no real way to tell which brand is profitable and or flogging. These ANAL-ysts do not have a clue of any markets period. They are there to BS.

I'm sure it will happen that way: people will vote with their wallets which brands live and which ones die. Re what divisions are profitable or not, there are ways to know which ones are/aren't. The fact that all is accounted for in 1 basket rather than 7 or 8 only makes the accounting criteria more debatable. But it's still possible: on a much smaller scale I have such an assignment waiting for me when I go back to the office next week: we ANAL-ysts do fun such stuff sometimes :P Edited by ZL-1

:lol:

I'm sure it will happen that way: people will vote with their wallets which brands live and which ones die. Re what divisions are profitable or not, there are ways to know which ones are/aren't. The fact that all is accounted for in 1 basket rather than 7 or 8 only makes the accounting criteria more debatable. But it's still possible: on a much smaller scale I have such an assignment waiting for me when I go back to the office next week: we ANAL-ysts do fun such stuff sometimes :P

Hey I thought you were a strategist. :P There is no way outsiders can know that unless they scroll through the accounting. Based on only on what GM files to the SEC, "Alex Taylor the III" or any of those myopic ANAL-ysts, will not know what brand is making moolah or peanuts.

Hey I thought you were a strategist. :P There is no way outsiders can know that unless they scroll through the accounting. Based on only on what GM files to the SEC, "Alex Taylor the III" or any of those myopic ANAL-ysts, will not know what brand is making moolah or peanuts.

I work mostly in Corporate Finance: Valuations, M&A, Restructurings. My boss thinks I should play Accountant too. I'd love to do some Strategy Consultancy, though!

Actually, thanks for reminding me of that: I have to start thinking about how to sell my talents when I move out of Lisbon :AH-HA_wink:

Won't comment about what an external analyst can do. I must protect my peers :P

Edited by ZL-1