Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Specialty plates ... have 'em?

A few months ago, I was browing the IL Secretary of State website and discovered that IL has a specialty license plate that features/celebrates Route 66. Since then, I've been considering switching to these plates on all 5 of my Monte Carlos.

But, I haven't yet switched because of the increase cost of the plates [though, on the plus side of that, a portion of the fee supports the Illinois Route 66 Heritage Project]. I'm also not happy that the letter/number combinations are limited (i.e. 2 letters, 2 numbers ... or ... 3 letters, 1 number), and I haven't been able to come up with some good combinations....

However, thus far, I've only seen a handful (if that) of cars with the Route 66 plates ... it'd be neat to have something that is not seen much in these parts.

So ... has anyone switched to a specialty plate your state offers? If so, are you happy with them/glad you did?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Take my way, it's the highway, that's the best" ... John Mayer ... 'Route 66'

Posted Image

This Boston Bruins plate (seen here on my '89 Oldsmobile Toronado) has been the license plate I've had since day one when I registered my first car at 16 years old. It's been on every car I've ever had registered to me and has been through it all. Other than that, the only other plates I've had registered to me was the set of antique plates that I had on my 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I refuse to EVER have a general issue Massachusetts plate because I think that the motto on the bottom of the plate, "The Spirit of America," is the biggest load of bull$h! they could have possibly put on it and I will not advertise their lie. That's why I spent double on my Bruins plate to have the extra money go to something worthwhile like youth hockey programs (bottom of the plate reads "Invest in Youth Hockey")

A nice white/blue 'Antique' plate for the Buick 'cause it qualifies.

*grins*

That just looks ... ssssoooo ... COOL! he he

I've thought about getting antique plates for some of my MCs that qualify ... but, at least in IL, from what I've researched, you are limited in driving the car then ... and I really don't want that.

*shrugs*

I found out a bit more about the IL Route 66 plates....

To initially transfer, the cost is $116, with $40 of that amount going to the Illinois Route 66 Heritage Project. Then, the annual fee is $112, with $27 going to the Illinois Route 66 Heritage Project.

Hmm...if I can figure out a combination of letters and numbers for each Monte Carlo, I might just get these plates....

"The world rolls by a million miles away" ... James Taylor ... 'Our Town'

My B-59 has a burgundy/rust colored plate from 1959 with white letters.

It's got great patina on it, it's registered under the "Year of Manufacture" code.

That plate was on the back of my ex's grandmother's 1959 Plymouth when new.

Oh wow ... some cool history behind that plate, then, eh?

I have a few year of manufacture plates, actually, but I don't use 'em....

Anyway, still thinking of plate combinations for the potential IL Route 66 plates, but in the meantime, wanted to share with ya'll a link that Pontiac Custom-S shared with me late last night:

http://www.coolpl8z.com/

It's a neat website dedicated to interesting license plates...!

Oh, and for the record, I pay $85 per year for my current personalized plates....

"All of the chaos makes perfect sense" ... Joe Diffie ... 'Third Rock From The Sun'

Yeah I used to have vanity plates on the '68 Camaro...

PANTHR (since Mass suck & only allows six letters)

But vanity plates in Mass are 4-times as expensive as regular plates!!!

You pay EVERY year instead of every other year and you pay double.

Twice as often & twice as much = quadroople. <_<

Yeah I used to have vanity plates on the '68 Camaro...

PANTHR (since Mass suck & only allows six letters)

That's what happens when you live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

Remmeber when Dukakis' wife was under house arrest

and they took away all her booze? She was so damn

desperate to get some alcohol in her system she drank

a bottle of Windex window cleaner!!!

Still is.

Teddy is still alive and in office... even thought he killed an innocent girl in 1968!

Holy cow .... that's ridiculous....

Heh ... well, states know that some people buy cars to be individual ... and will be willing to pay the fees for vanityr/personalized plates, no matter what....

"You don't know until you begin" ... Van Halen ... 'Jump'

Still is.

Teddy is still alive and in office... even thought he killed an innocent girl in 1968!

True...

I also surmise he was an Olds man to the core... I looked at a website that had some speeding tickets and reckless driving tickets and alot of them were Oldsmobiles.

I also surmise he was an Olds man to the core... I looked at a website that had some speeding tickets and reckless driving tickets and alot of them were Oldsmobiles.

Very true. The very car he crashed into Chappaquiddick Sound that Mary Jo Kopechne drowned in was a '68 Delmont 88.

Posted Image

They say she stayed alive for as long as two hours in an air pocket in the car. He swam to a bed & breakfast, slept off the hangover, and reported the accident twelve hours later after calling his lawyers in Washington DC. Our illustrious senior senator at his best!

University of Waterloo... obviously. Only 30 bucks extra one-time, and it's given to the school.

Nice ... if the Rt 66 plates were extra only one time, I would've had 'em on all 5 of my MCs now.... Sadly, it's extra every year....

"Does your conscience bother you?" ... Lynyrd Skynyrd ... 'Sweet Home Alabama'