GM global sales up Q4, Toyota estimated decline

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=news

GM Increases Global Sales, May Whittle Toyota's Lead

Posted Image

Oct. 18 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp. posted a 4 percent gain in quarterly global sales, bolstering its bid to hold off Toyota Motor Corp. and extend a 76-year reign as the world's largest automaker.

The 2.39 million vehicles sold set a third-quarter record, Detroit-based GM said today in a statement. While Toyota hasn't yet released worldwide totals, combined sales in three of its biggest markets -- Europe, Japan and the U.S. -- fell 3.8 percent.

GM's increase, spurred by sales outside North America, was its third quarterly gain this year. The results may further reduce a Toyota lead that shrunk by 49,000 between March and midyear.

``In Latin America and China, GM has not really faced significant competition from Toyota,'' said Sean McAlinden, an analyst at the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Michigan. ``You're going to see a jump up in competition from GM in those regions, and they could really get out in front of Toyota on global sales.''

During the quarter, GM again recorded a sales decline in North America, its largest market. Sales there fell 6.1 percent to 1.21 million vehicles. New products, such as the Buick Enclave crossover sport-utility vehicle, helped make up for falling truck sales in the U.S., said GM sales analyst Paul Ballew on a conference call.

During the third quarter, Toyota sales in Japan fell 3.8 percent, its U.S. volume dropped 4.9 percent and European deliveries were down 0.1 percent, according to data from the automaker and the Association of European Automobile Manufacturers.

Toyota outsold GM for the first time in the first three months of the year. Through the first half, Toyota sold 4.71 million vehicles, beating GM by about 39,000. After the first quarter, Toyota's lead was 88,000.

...why is it that I hear a loud flushing sound every time I drive by a Toyota store these days?

...why is it that I hear a loud flushing sound every time I drive by a Toyota store these days?

It is the ocean, and a bit of wishful thinking. So put down that conch shell. While still in the 'honeymoon' phase of the recently concluded negotiations with it's shrinking domestic workforce, GM now had better concentrate mightily on fielding world class product. To paraphrase the Clinton campaign of '92, "it's the CARS stupid"! :banghead:

'biz, i'm not saying that you are stupid. just that GM should be of a singular focus going forward.

Edited by longtooth

It is the ocean, and a bit of wishful thinking. So put down that conch shell. While still in the 'honeymoon' phase of the recently concluded negotiations with it's shrinking domestic workforce, GM now had better concentrate mightily on fielding world class product. To paraphrase the Clinton campaign of '92, "it's the CARS stupid"! :banghead:

'biz, i'm not saying that you are stupid. just that GM should be of a singular focus going forward.

Well, isn't the world a different place than 2 years ago when GM was going bankrupt and Toyota was walking on water? Believe me, I am not dancing on anyone's grave here. My point is that NO corporation is perfect, and no one car company deserves the kind of free pass Toyota has enjoyed this past 15 years, nor GM the free pass it enjoyed the 15 years before that.

The media is biased, jaded and corrupt. They herd like a pack of wild banshees, looking for the next carcass to feed on. The trouble is, what they don't appreciate is that they often help to decide who or what the next carcass will be. Whatever the media decides is the Next Big Thing becomes the Next Big Thing.

GM makes a lot of very good cars. Where the problem lies is who determines what is World Class? World class in Brazil? In China? The U.K.? There is no such thing, my friend. Just more media doublespeak, but the media determines the agenda and the couch potatoes of America will buy what they are told to - or whatever's on sale.

Well, isn't the world a different place than 2 years ago when GM was going bankrupt and Toyota was walking on water? Believe me, I am not dancing on anyone's grave here. My point is that NO corporation is perfect, and no one car company deserves the kind of free pass Toyota has enjoyed this past 15 years, nor GM the free pass it enjoyed the 15 years before that.

The media is biased, jaded and corrupt. They herd like a pack of wild banshees, looking for the next carcass to feed on. The trouble is, what they don't appreciate is that they often help to decide who or what the next carcass will be. Whatever the media decides is the Next Big Thing becomes the Next Big Thing.

GM makes a lot of very good cars. Where the problem lies is who determines what is World Class? World class in Brazil? In China? The U.K.? There is no such thing, my friend. Just more media doublespeak, but the media determines the agenda and the couch potatoes of America will buy what they are told to - or whatever's on sale.

This just goes to a general dishonesty everywhere. In corporate life people will just go along because they're not on the hook to make decisions. I've been involved in many projects where no one in the room believed there was any chance at success but as long as they were not on the hook for the success or failure of the project, they're happy to just nod acceptance. This is, at its core, dishonest.

Business is implicitly dishonest. It's all about getting the most money out of people and paying the least cost even when they know anyone (for example) can buy the same stuff online for 1/2 the cost.

The media is the same - none of them cares that there crap is marginally dishonest - as long as nobody can call them on the carpet will obvious examples, they'll continue to "ride the horse" until it's out of steam. Looks like Toyota might finally be there.