Cadillac @ NEIAS (New England International Auto Show)

ellives

I hit the show yesterday - new venue right in the heart of the South End of Boston (Southie for those in the area.) This new facility was a great improvement over the old one. Much more room.

I have to say, sitting in the CTS there really gets the adrenaline going. I was struck by the size seeming much smaller than I expected given the chatter I've seen in the press about it being a 5-series size car - I didn't find this to be the case. In fact I actually liked the size of the STS-V they had on display (this is one sweet car by for $80k I'd have to think hard about it.) Really depends on the primary purpose of the car. Certainly as a personal driving machine the CTS size is perfect.

Clearly Cadillac is getting smarter about how they use this show to compete. Their placement was directly next to Lexus. They still need an LS competitor. Hopefully this is in the works.

I think they're still going to struggle with the "old man's car" reputation. When I was looking under the hood of the STS-V an older guy walked up and asked me "is this the one that won the awards" and before I could answer he looked at the price tag of the V and said "for 80K I'll keep the Mercedes." I quickly pointed out where the CTS was and the general pricing and he headed off to check them out. To me he was a paradox. The typical uninformed lemming buyer who *could* be considered the market that's kept Cadillac in business over the last decade but also the type they really don't want as future buyers because every time people see a Cadillac and see an elderly driver, it confirms the reputation as "old man's car."

I have a friend who drives an A6 who commented how he didn't like the pop-up NAV and how the STS design of permanent screen placement was better. He pointed out how the pop-up would block part of the windshield view. Any thoughts from those who have driven the CTS on their experience with the NAV? I haven't driven one so don't know who effective the system is. I agree it's nice to have the display there all the time but it's all in the implementation. My friend is quick to come to conclusions and tough to chance his mind once he has.

I also heard comments from someon looking at the front of the CTS and how close to the ground the front fascia is. I know my STS has scraped parking lot curbstones many times. I suspect the CTS would be the same. I suppose it's a price one has to pay to play in this category of of automobile and all others in the same category would be the same.

Really seems like Cadillac has done a great job with the CTS. The Malibu was great too for what I could see. Very competitive with the Accord.

Your friend is trying to find reason not to like the CTS and he is reaching with the navigation comment. I bet he had not even sat in one with the navigation up but has a comment on it. Anyway I am also glad that Cadillac did not swoop the front of the CTS up like they did with the XLR. That soils that car for me totally. BMW, Benz or Audi will not do that and I am glad Cadillac followed suit. If it scares someone with the idea of going in a driveway they can simply go in at an angle and most often will be fine.

I was struck by the size seeming much smaller than I expected given the chatter I've seen in the press about it being a 5-series size car - I didn't find this to be the case.

IMO that's because the CTS is well proportioned while the 5-Series is not BMW's best styling effort. Edited by ZL-1

IMO that's because the CTS is well proportioned while the 5-Series is not BMW's best styling effort.

IMO that's because outward visibility in the back is poor, it's narrower inside, and I have to slouch to get enough rear headroom.

But yes, the CTS is hot and no-excuses good-looking.

• 2 weeks later...