Intrepidation

What happened to the 5-speed the Ion used to have?

9 posts in this topic

I've been wondering..what happened to the 5-speed automatic the Ion had before its MCE? Why was it replaced by a unit with one less gear? Is teh four speed more durable or what?

Edited by Dodgefan

I'm not really knowledgeable on the Ion tranny stuff, but I posted a link to your Q on SixthSphere.com, so I should have an answer to relay to you soon, unless someone on here beats me to it, which they might.

I believe the 5-speed and CVT were both deficient in the reliability category. Thats what I recall anyways. I think the 5a was outsourced (Aisin?) and the CVT was an in-house transmission, but I could be wrong on that.

The CVT had some manufacturing problems early on, but the biggest problem was consumer acceptance. It unnerved people too much when it didn't shift when they expected it to.

The change over from the 5 speed to the four speed occurred at the same time that the Cobalt was introduced with the 4 speed. That said, there were numerous complaints with the five speed unit. Engine revs would flair up at unpredictable times during shifts. Everyone who commented at the time at the Saturn forums said th four speed outperformed the 5 speed transmission. Better execution?

I hated the CVT in the ION coupe I test drove before I bought mine. I see Ford did away with the CVT when they switched back to Taurus/Sable nameplates.

yeah, the replies I got basically said that the 5 speed auto spent too much time hunting for a gear. Sounds like it wasn't well executed.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room