Manual Shift on lower trims

I think I've gone over this in the old forums as well, but I was inspired the other day by talking to a dealer. The sales guy told me that you can order a 5-speed stick on the 3.5L V6. I was scratching my head for a moment there, but of course it turned out that the guy just wasn't listening in class... But makes me wonder: Is it a technical difficulty that they can't slap the stick shift on the base models? Can't they even at least put the Getrag 5-speed?

In theory, if the 3.5L and 3.9L share the same bolt pattern, there's no reason why it can't happen. If GM decided to spread their existing manuals across every car line possible, the only cars that would be left out are the LS4 W bodies and the Northstars. If the 2.8L V6 in the 9-3 comes with a manual option, then that would take care of the FWD HFV6 applications.

Pontiac has priced the G6 GTP manuals out of contention. Most GTP G6's are optioned to the gills and priced at 28-30k on lots. TRY to find a G6 GTP manual somewhere for the base price. It would make more sense if Pontiac offered a basic G6 with 3.9 and manual for more like 22 grand. And the base 4 cylinder should be offered with stick for around 17 or 18. Like the Fusion. Sonata even offers stick with 4. Edited by regfootball

In theory, if the 3.5L and 3.9L share the same bolt pattern, there's no reason why it can't happen. If GM decided to spread their existing manuals across every car line possible, the only cars that would be left out are the LS4 W bodies and the Northstars. If the 2.8L V6 in the 9-3 comes with a manual option, then that would take care of the FWD HFV6 applications.

[post="30154"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not the same engine block. The 3.5 in the Malibu and G6 is the older 60 deg V6 block, not the new one of the 3.9 L and the Impala's 3.5 L. GM tried offering the standard Saab/GM 5-speed in the Saturn L-series, apparently without success (although this was the LS).

Automatics started to become the transmission of choice back when most cars did have a manual as standard equipment. It just seems like the added expense of changing the "little things" in a car to pffer it with a manual doesn't make sense for maybe 10% of sales. I loved the idea of having a stick, I wouldn't have bought my car (the aforementioned failure of a Saturn) if it hadn't been a stick, but now that I've had it a while, I kind of wish I had gotten an automatic. When you think of a manual transmission, you think sporty and fun. Realistically it is red lights every quarter of a mile, heavy traffic, and one more thing to deal with on the morning commute. People want automatics, and I kind of see why. The demand for manuals is limited to enthusiasts who do not make up anywhere near the majority of the car buying population.

Automatics started to become the transmission of choice back when most cars did have a manual as standard equipment.  It just seems like the added expense of changing the "little things" in a car to pffer it with a manual doesn't make sense for maybe 10% of sales.  I loved the idea of having a stick, I wouldn't have bought my car (the aforementioned failure of a Saturn) if it hadn't been a stick, but now that I've had it a while, I kind of wish I had gotten an automatic.  When you think of a manual transmission, you think sporty and fun.  Realistically it is red lights every quarter of a mile, heavy traffic, and one more thing to deal with on the morning commute.  People want automatics, and I kind of see why.  The demand for manuals is limited to enthusiasts who do not make up anywhere near the majority of the car buying population.

[post="30653"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Solstice and Corvette are low volume. Shouldn't they just not make it?

Same idea. It's like GM shouldn't be thinking like if the market is small, not making would be the way to go. It's things like this that show more differentiation. If Pontiac is sporty and fun, add options that mean sporty and fun. In the case of the G6, it would make sense to at least make the automatic as a delete option. Otherwise, it would be in the situation like the current situation, the G6 is not more than a shinier Malibu.

A small market is still a market. You can't just assume that it doesn't exist. That was GM' thinking, and look what happened to the Camaro: sales lost to Ford.

one dealer told me that a large percentage of Vues sold are with the 4 cyl. 5 speed combo. Like 30-40% of the 4 cylinder ones but I'm not sure if he was jerkin my chain. the last two cars my sister bought were sticks. i want one too, but am afraid of the traffic thing. my 99 prizma nd 89 sho had sticks and i enjoyed them, but right now its tough to justify unless i win the lottery and can afford an extra car. Lots of Mazda 6's are sold with sticks. lots of VW's are too. it just seems to me that the G6 manual would have a much greater acceptnace if they actually had some sedans at lower price points and did a cheap 4 cylinder sports package as well. Edited by regfootball