Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
douglask

Bob Lutz: Brazil is global ‘Home Room’ for Hummer ?

10 posts in this topic

I suspect Bob Lutz was misquoted, but the bottom of this article seems to claim that Brazil will be the global ‘Home Room’ for Hummer.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf...A2573D10022710D

Holden in Australia is now GM’s global ‘Home Room’ for middle-to-large rear-wheel drive vehicles including sedans and utilities.

Home Room is GM-speak for the GM division that is responsible for all the development of a particular architecture.

Mr Lutz also singled out GM-DAT in South Korea as GM’s centre for light cars, Opel in Germany for small and medium-sized front-wheel drive vehicles and their derivatives, Brazil for Hummer and the United States as the Home Room for Cadillac, Corvette, the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky convertibles, and full-sized truck and utilities/SUVs.

They are in charge of all mid-size trucks now. :AH-HA_wink:

That is 'juicy' news for me :AH-HA_wink:

I think that's a good idea.

No he wasn't just didn't say all of what Brazil is in charge of. They are in charge of all mid-size trucks now. :AH-HA_wink:

CAFE. Build the biguns out of here.

If Brazil is the new "homeroom" for Hummer, and if Brazil is now in charge of GM worldwide midsize, traditional trucks, does that mean the H2 will cease to exist, with the H3 taking over as the "big" Hummer?

No. GM do Brasil is just in charge of the GMT 7xx program developing the architecture for the medium pickups and SUVs built around the world, including the H3 and H4, but not the next gen H2. Actual development of the Hummer versions will probably stay in NA, but the platform is being developed in Brazil (presumably in co-operation with Isuzu), as the S10 is far more important to the Latin American market than the Colorado is in the US, and GM Thailand (the other big pickup market) is a manufacturing, and not a development center for GM.

No. GM do Brasil is just in charge of the GMT 7xx program developing the architecture for the medium pickups and SUVs built around the world, including the H3 and H4, but not the next gen H2. Actual development of the Hummer versions will probably stay in NA, but the platform is being developed in Brazil (presumably in co-operation with Isuzu), as the S10 is far more important to the Latin American market than the Colorado is in the US, and GM Thailand (the other big pickup market) is a manufacturing, and not a development center for GM.

This is not news, it was announced many months ago.

This is not news, it was announced many months ago.

Your information is wrong and outdated, things have moved on from there so fast that it would make your head spin. Oh an Isuzu will have no part in this what so ever. They are persona non-grata, since they have become so Toyota friendly. :AH-HA_wink:

That does not surprise me, especially since GM now owns half of VM, which appears to have better light truck engines. However, other than killing the Isuzu-GM LCV JV and giving Brazil complete control of the midsize truck development. what has changed? I would still expect a NA-based Hummer team to Hummerize the Brazilian truck design, and GM India to take it and design a new Tavera (they had to re-engineer the old one anyway). I only hope that Brazil does engineer it to accommodate the VM truck engines and the Atlas I4 (most economical pickup in the US market) for the US and international markets, and not just an updated MWM diesel and the old Family II truck engine, or Toyota will wipe the floor with them.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0