BMW builds the disposable car?

tmp

Front-End Repair? Maybe Just Throw It Away

Registration may be required

BMW's new techniques and rules restrict what repair shops can do, and baffled insurers are junking the vehicles. Some critics think manufacturers are beginning to make throw-away cars

That's got to hit the resale values of these cars- why would you buy a used one if it'll cost a fortune to repair? How much is collision insurance going to be?

This is old hat where I work. We are a BMW dealer and we have techs who are certified in repairing these cars. We had an '04 5 series with the entire front structure completely removed and replaced due to these requirements.

This is old hat where I work.  We are a BMW dealer and we have techs who are certified in repairing these cars.  We had an '04 5 series with the entire front structure completely removed and replaced due to these requirements.

[post="31115"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The cost of repairs are a driving force in higher insurance. I honestly hate this kind of thing!

Yup, we all end up paying more... :angry:

I think its because the whole front structure is aluminum, which has to be welded onto the rest of the chassis, which is steel. I assume this helps to ensure a proper repair... restraightening some beams might compromise energy absorption the second time you crash.

The cost of repairs are a driving force in higher insurance. I honestly hate this kind of thing!

[post="31120"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Neither the '04 330 convertible I had nor the '05 X5 4.4 we have now have cost us any more to insure than other cars we've had......I don't know why...but they don't...so I could care less...

Neither the '04 330 convertible I had nor the '05 X5 4.4 we have now have cost us any more to insure than other cars we've had......I don't know why...but they don't...so I could care less...

[post="32188"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Maybe because they aren't built this way.

Maybe because they aren't built this way.

[post="32320"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ah...but they are....

We just recently had a tow-truck back into our X5. It crunched the painted-plastic part of the front bumper....but DIDN'T damage the headlights or any actual sheetmetal....

Cost to repair was over $3K.

Expensive, yeah....duh....

But for some reason, maybe safety or something, the insurance for these is not that bad and pretty competitive to domestic cars I've had in the past....

cost to repair can be a bitch with these cars because it is well known that the dealerships highly inflate the prices of the replacement components...At BMW I can find an M5 front and rear bumper with all the parts to install it for about 3-4 grand. I found a website who deals directly with BMW and only sells OEM parts and I can get the entire front and rear bumper kit with everything for the install for around 1,100...The most expensive thing though with body repairs tends to be the paint. I remember my dad took his car to a repair shop to get this crunched fender rpaired...the repair wasn't so bad, but the paint was...basically when this place does repairs, they heavily blend the color and basically start to repaint every other panel surrounding the problem panel to make sure they get it blended correctly...Though they did damn good work...that's for sure.