Taking 3 months off...

...to figure out what to do next.

No, not me; Mark Suppelsa, now former Fox 32 Chicago anchorman. This week, he turned down what is termed by the media a "lucrative" contract to continue as the main anchorman for Fox 32's 9p newscast. According to him during a visit Tuesday morning on WTMX's Erik and Kathy Show, it isn't about the money. Instead, he feels blessed to have the means and the time to take 3 months off [he has to wait 90 days before going back on the air, per his contract with Fox 32] to relax, enjoy his family ... and decide what he wants to do with his life.

This news, and especially the interview Tuesday morning I heard on the radio en route to work, made me wonder how many of us would love that type of an opportunity ... to be able to afford to take off for 3 months to figure out what and where to go next. I know I would.

To be VERY CLEAR, I AM HAPPY with my job and other aspects of my life currently ... but, sometimes, I wonder about "the road not taken" [i.e. what would have happened if WSM radio in Nashville TN had responded to my letters/calls requesting an internship there, before the deadline to have an internship secured for that January term ... what would've happened if I didn't have an interest in and/or purchased Monte Carlos ... what would've happened if I wasn't born with a heart defect ... and other various instances]; about if I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing (should I be doing something else?; is something or someone missing in my life?); and about "doing something out of character".

Problem with the "out of character" part of it, at least for me, is that if I DID do something out of character, too many people know me well enough that someone just might wonder if my identity had been stolen ... LOL!

As for the "road not taken", well, it's a thought path better not traveled.... Still, if I had 3 months to decide what to do next, I'd do a lot of road tripping, meet more people, see where else I might like to live, consider other career opportunities/moves, do a lot of "to do" list projects/activities, figure out if something (or someone?) is missing in my life ... and, of course, get some rest....

*sighs*

And, while I may be a little jealous of the opportunity Mark Suppelsa has, even without 3 months off for myself ... some of that, if I find the motivation and the energy, can still be accomplished.... Maybe.

So, who else wonders/wanders sometimes? Or, maybe it is just my ramblin'/road trippin' nature....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Time is a friend" ... Reba McEntire ... 'Is There Life Out There?'

It's a shame about Randy Salerno. He was a great anchorman and a pillar of the community in Chicagoland.

Indeed.

I watched the CBS 2 Morning News the Monday morning after his death, for as long as I could before I had to head to work. I saw highlights of the memorial service as well. The clips that CBS 2 and WGN played that weekend after and the following week ... were hilarious and touching and sad all at the same time. Still hard to believe he is gone....

Life is too short for "what ifs"....

*nods*

Amen.

"Don't tell me that it can't be done" ... Lorrie Morgan ... 'Watch Me'

I took 8 months off in '01-02... traveled quite a bit, hung out, got bored. I'm taking a month off this year (April)...in a few years, I want to take 6 months off, and go on a extended vacation in Australia and NZ.

A consultant friend of mine takes off 3 months every summer to spend the summer w/ his family when his kids are out of school.

Edited by moltar

I live my life three months at a time. Seriously though. My school term is three months, then my work term is three months, back and forth for 4.5-5 years. And it's pretty damn different every three months because you go from working 40+ hours a week and going home to family to taking classes at weird schedules then studying and having fun/partying with my fraternity brothers.

Indeed.

I watched the CBS 2 Morning News the Monday morning after his death, for as long as I could before I had to head to work. I saw highlights of the memorial service as well. The clips that CBS 2 and WGN played that weekend after and the following week ... were hilarious and touching and sad all at the same time. Still hard to believe he is gone....

*nods*

I met Randy one time on Thanksgiving evening in 1997 in front of Field's. He was a very tall man and very cordial and personable. I was saddened to hear of his death. The whole story surrounding his death is just a horrible tragedy. I feel for his family and friends.

I took 8 months off in '01-02... traveled quite a bit, hung out, got bored.

See ... that's the thing, I don't think I would get bored. I have too much traveling I want to do, too many projects I want to do, etc.

Then again, SOME boredom might be nice every so often....he he.

I met Randy one time on Thanksgiving evening in 1997 in front of Field's. He was a very tall man and very cordial and personable. I was saddened to hear of his death. The whole story surrounding his death is just a horrible tragedy.

Indeed it is a horrible tragedy. Which reminds me ... did they ever prosecute his friend? I haven't heard anything about it since....

And, that's cool that you met him, KC. I didn't have that opportunity, but I almost feel like I knew him, considering how much he was on TV here in Chicagoland.

"I'm thinking it over anyway" ... Duncan Sheik ... 'Barely Breathing'