Close Calls: A Tale of 2 Reactions

This past week, I found myself in "defensive driving" situations ... one worked out very well, the other almost ended not so well....

The first, the one that almost ended up badly, happened en route to work. I was on a 4-lane road in Schaumburg in the right-hand lane, which was full of cars waiting to turn right (myself included). We were moving, but not at the speed limit. I noticed that the car behind me darted into the left-hand lane, but thought nothing of it, because I thought the driver was going to be turning left at the upcoming intersection. I was wrong. Instead, the driver apparently realized I was going slow because of the line in front of me. Before I knew it, he had darted back into the right-hand lane right in front of me. All I could do to avoid an accident was slam on my brakes ... and hope for the best. Unfortunately, the pavement was still damp that morning and my car skidded. I kept control of it and narrowly avoided a collision.

The second happened en route to work on a 4-lane road within Elgin's city limits. I was in the left lane and a huge Ford SUV was in the right lane. We were approaching an intersection notorious for people trying to dart out into traffic to cross or turn left ... because the intersection has no lights ... just stop signs for the cross, 2-lane street. I happened to notice that the Ford was turning right and spotted, out of the corner of my eye, a Honda minivan inching its way out from the street on the right-hand side. Instinctively, I slowed down because I knew the minivan driver could not see my '87 MC LS due to the Ford SUV. Sure enough, the minivan darted out ... directly in front of me. Had I not anticipated that and kept going the speed limit, I would've T-boned the minivan, no doubt. You should've seen the minivan driver's look of horror when she realized I was in the other lane coming right at her....

I was shaking after the first incident ... because I felt I could've/should've anticipated what was to happen and slowed down to avoid having to slam on the brakes. I was also pissed at the other driver.... Yet, at the same time, I didn't shake at all at the second incident ... because I anticipated, evaluated the situation, and took appropriate action before anything took place.... And, I wasn't pissed at that driver ... I knew it was an honest mistake because of the limited view. I was, however, a bit annoyed, realizing that we were both lucky I took the action I did ... otherwise, well, I don't want to think about what would've been inevitable....

Anyone else have any "close calls" recently?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm not fine" ... Sister Hazel ... 'You're Mistake'

Nope, just a sideswipe because some stupid woman thinks it's OK to pass on the opposing lane while we were waiting/trying to turn left with teh turn signal on...then claim to the officer that were were "pulled over" in the middle of the road and complain that her back was "killing her" when sh e was yackig on the cell phone and walking around before the police arrived.

I'd love to give her a real reason to go to the hospital, I know where she lives now after all. <_<

Sadly, I would have to say yes.

At this rate-i'm going to have to replace te Cobalt's brakes soon.... :banghead:

Just a few days ago I almost got hit by a driver running a red light. Had not saw that coming-he would have smashed me right through the intersection....

It's much more common around here now, as people either just don't care anymore, or way too absorbed in their own problems....

I almost got rear-ended this morning in congestion...the light was green, but the traffic wasn't moving, and the driver of a Neon behind me didn't seem to comprehend why I was stopped at a green light...

A couple of days ago on the freeway I had to lay on the horn when a zombie minivan mom on her cellphone started moving into my lane while beside me..

Wednesday on the way to an event in Lowell we were coming to the stoplight on 110 where the road goes from 2 lanes to 3 but the 2 lanes must merge with an off ramp on the far right. It's very awkward the way the road divides up...very poor design. Anyway it's rush hour so there's lots of traffic. I was in the lane right where the road splits off suddenly so an extra lane is added for those turning left. I had no where to go because traffic was in front of me and that left turning lane hadn't "formed" yet. This asshole in a Tundra decides that he can't wait for traffic to move up, and barely lows down as he goes on the median to get past me...inches away from the side of my car...I thought I was going to get sidewsiped again! I didn't but I blasted my horn at the jerkoff, and again as I went through the intersection while he was still waiting to turn left (he got real far ahead of me). He beeped back, must have known it was the guy he almost hit. Idiot. <_<

Edited by Dodgefan

I didn't but I blasted my horn at the jerkoff, and again as I went through the intersection while he was still waiting to turn left (he got real far ahead of me). He beeped back, must have known it was the guy he almost hit.

LOL!

I'm not laughing at you or the situation, Dodgefan ... I am chuckling, though, at the other driver knowing you were the one he almost hit. So many times, drivers will do things that make me shake my head ... like speeding up to pass others ... only for us to "catch up" at the next stoplight. Given that you don't see too many '87 MC LSs on the road anymore, it's always interesting to see the look on drivers' faces when they see my car parked next to them at the next stoplight when they think they've sped up enough to never see my car again ... he he.

"Maybe we've been living with our eyes half open" ... Switchfoot ... 'Meant To Live'

LOL!

I'm not laughing at you or the situation, Dodgefan ... I am chuckling, though, at the other driver knowing you were the one he almost hit. So many times, drivers will do things that make me shake my head ... like speeding up to pass others ... only for us to "catch up" at the next stoplight. Given that you don't see too many '87 MC LSs on the road anymore, it's always interesting to see the look on drivers' faces when they see my car parked next to them at the next stoplight when they think they've sped up enough to never see my car again ... he he.

"Maybe we've been living with our eyes half open" ... Switchfoot ... 'Meant To Live'

True. It's almost as bad when they saw that crazy sky blue 14ish year old Cav wagon roll up next to them.. :lol:

:yes:

LOL!

I just realized I neglected to notate that reference ... "and don't know why" was in reference to Alabama's "I'm In A Hurry" ... he he.

*rolls eyes*

"Can money pay for all the days I lived awake but half asleep?" ... Primitive Radio Gods ... 'Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand'