Cleaning Chrome Wheels... PLEASE HELP! UPDATED!

Okay I am looking foward to cleaning up my Bonneville very good. I have some rust-ish like oxidation forming deep in the corner of my N89 chrome wheels on my Bonneville. Any oxidation products that can remove it. Would some paste wax work? I have waxed them and polished them with spray wax alot but it still happend over the winter when I have MUCH less time to do this kind of stuff. Can I someone please help me, or am I stuck with the wheels like that? (Please say no!)

Edited by gm4life

Okay I am looking foward to cleaning up my Bonneville very good. I have some rust-ish like oxidation forming deep in the corner of my N89 chrome wheels on my Bonneville. Any oxidation products that can remove it. Would some paste wax work? I have waxed them and polished them with spray wax alot but it still happend over the winter when I have MUCH less time to do this kind of stuff. Can I someone please help me, or am I stuck with the wheels like that? (Please say no!)

Mother's wheel polish works the best compared to any wheel product I've ever used.

Use an old tooth brush in the tight spots.... Happy mother's day.

Buy a Mothers power ball if you have lots of wheels and little time!

I'm not sure about chrome tech, but I buy polish for my chrome plated wheels at the local Harley shop. :AH-HA_wink:

It's expensive but always works really well.

Yeah, in this case, HIS chrome wheels aren't exactly what came to be known as GM chrome-tech, but are more so just chrome plated aluminum.

Any chrome polish, or just proper polish should work. The specific chrome polishes suggested and even things from a Harley store (of course, lots of chrome) are dead on.

BUT then, once clean and back to their full glimmering self, the best idea is to follow-up with a sealant of some sort, that will last. Regular "wax" can't stand up to the heat and chemicals that wheels get subjected to, so a polymer sealant is a good idea. I order everything and use Klasse Sealant Glaze after some Klasse All-in-One Polish, two of the most durable and lasting products I've used, but there's a world of other things and many that can be found at your typical Autozone, etc. Look for sealant/polymer/etc. after you've done the polish.

Edited by caddycruiser

Thanks guys so some mothers polish will that get rid of the oxidation (it is happening only ever so slighty in the corners). I give mothers a try and get some sealer as well. Thanks so much that will happen later this week... Hopefully.

Edited by gm4life

Before you start, make absolutely sure that your wheels are not clearcoated!

I love simichrome.

I haven't used it since I had my truck...My BMW doesn't have anything to use it on. Now that I have my bike though it has come into some use. Used it quite a bit today. Brought back memories. <3 Happich

Edited by Nick

I don't know if the N89 (RPO) chrome wheels are clearcoated. I just used a Turtle Wax Chrome and Rust Remover for wheels and chrome bumpers. It worked great here are the picks. I also bought some mothers polish to put on later, now that oxidation is gone. I AM SO HAPPY! IT WORKED! Here are the photos... They speak for themselves thanks for the GREAT advice folks!

Before...

DSC08169.jpg

DSC08170.jpg

DSC08171.jpg

DSC08172.jpg

DSC08173.jpg

During...

DSC08174.jpg

DSC08175.jpg

DSC08176.jpg

After...

DSC08177.jpg

DSC08178.jpg

DSC08179.jpg

DSC08180.jpg

DSC08181.jpg

So in closing my Bonneville has clean rims, and the rest of the car aside of the interior is dirty as hell... :lol:

Edited by gm4life