Jetta TDI, Ford Flex official EPA fuel economy + some other 2009s

lessee...

right now, fuel prices for my area are:

gas (regular): $3.70

diesel: $4.50

about a 22% difference

So, economically, a 40mpg diesel car is equivalent to a 31.2mpg gasoline car...

Just a random thought/calculation. Not like the above won't change constantly.

Diesels don't respond well to the EPA cycle. Owners will likely see much better than 30/41.

edit: The previous TDI was rated at 49mpg highway on the old cycle and was frequently reported in the mid to high 50s by drivers.

Diesels don't respond well to the EPA cycle. Owners will likely see much better than 30/41.

edit: The previous TDI was rated at 49mpg highway on the old cycle and was frequently reported in the mid to high 50s by drivers.

nice. If we say 50mpg, then that translates to 39, 55 translates to about 43. I'm not trying to be down on diesels at all, they're great. It's the cost of diesel that stinks right now.

Regardless of what it gets in the "real world", 30/41 EPA is very impressive considering you get a near-midsize, 3400 lbs sedan with 140 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque. This will give Camry Hybrid a run for its money.

flex is an aerodynamic brick. i am surprised to see it gets better/ as good as mpg than the taurus x.

now the flex keeps looking better

i got a ride in a coworkers edge the other day and have had one as a rental and i am beginning to lean to flex over edge if i can swing it when the lease comes due this fall. fusion is out, taurus maybe. all the big ford v6's get about the same.

To me the striking news is that a HYUNDAI RWD V-6 has a better gas mileage than FWD Malibu V-6. GM are you watching?

yes, but i'm betting the genisis will be slightly lighter.... DI the 'bu and it should get the same.

nice. If we say 50mpg, then that translates to 39, 55 translates to about 43. I'm not trying to be down on diesels at all, they're great. It's the cost of diesel that stinks right now.

Yeah diesel prices do stink.....(no pun intended)......but you have to remember that, when compared to a Hybrid, or a low-ish powered 4cylinder car, a diesel can actually be fun to drive and give you excellent gas mileage.

That TDI Jetta with 230+ lbs/ft of torque will be nicely responsive. The Alfa I drove in Europe was a 1.9L diesel....and if I remember correctly, it had around 150hp and a similar level of torque as the Jetta....and not only was it responsive, but it was damn fun to run through the gears....it truly actually made me smile.....

That 335d will be awesome......