Blake Noble

Spied! New RWD Nissan coupe

7 posts in this topic

Spied! New RWD Nissan coupe
Another competitor serves itself to GM's lunch.
2010_nissan_fr_sports_coupe5.jpg
Link to original Article @ Autoblog

With all of the excitement surrounding the next-generation Nissan 370Z, it's sometimes easy to forget that its little rear-wheel-drive brother is on the way, as well. A few weeks ago, we shared some info about this future Nissan RWD coupe, and now we have an official photo to share that popped up at a Nissan GT 2012 meeting. Although fuzzy, it shows a bulging rear fender flare, tiny rear quarter window and swoopy side that we've already seen on some unofficial renderings. As we recently reported, Nissan has kicked development of its future 240SX replacement into high gear after hearing that the Toyota/Subaru coupe is coming along nicely.

Expected to be based on a shortened version of the Z's FM platform and dubbed FR, the new coupe should be powered by either a naturally aspirated 2.0L or possibly a 1.6L or 1.8L turbocharged four-cylinder. Speculation is that the S15 Silvia successor will be approximately 4,350 mm long, 1,750 mm wide and share the same wheelbase as the Z. Low weight and low price are key, and just like with its competitors from Subaru and Toyota, Nissan wants to keep the curb weight low, along with the price. We expect Nissan to beat Toyota to the punch by debuting the coupe in 2010, a full year before the Toyota/Subaru.
Edited by YellowJacket894

man GM its batting beat up by almost all japanese automakers and the saddest thing there not doing anything about it

Well, the pillars make me think it's a 4 door. As in sedan, not coupe. I really hope this is not one of those "4-door coupes". There needs to be a proper, 2-door coupe available. Heck, I wouldn't mind a range of bodystyles for this new Datsun. I'm just glad SOMEBODY is listening.

I'm just glad SOMEBODY is listening.

It is a shame that it isn't GM, though.

I have heard that this could come in sedan and coupe form, just like the Skyline.

It is a shame that it isn't GM, though.

I have heard that this could come in sedan and coupe form, just like the Skyline.

Funny you say Skyline... that makes me think it's possible we could end up seeing this as Infiniti's 1-Series competitor Stateside.

Funny you say Skyline... that makes me think it's possible we could end up seeing this as Infiniti's 1-Series competitor Stateside.

I was hoping they might put a Silvia badge on the coupe, but I guess Infiniti wouldn't stand for that.