Hybrid trucks to be built in Oshawa, CAW says.

The Canadian Auto Workers union says General Motors has reversed its decision not to build any hybrid pickups in Oshawa, Ont., and will start assembling a hybrid truck this fall.

Click here for the full story.

It looks like my next truck . . . being the Hybrid . . . could be another Sierra built in Ontario. :CanadaEmoticon:

I don't see why GM figures it would build so few of the hybrids. If they can figure out how to get the price down (and not gouge Canadians so much), they should be able to sell 5k hybrids in Canada, let alone south of the border. Who wouldn't want a pickup truck that gets 30 mpg?

Wait... 30 mpg? I have a feeling the 900 hybrid pickups will get the same mileage ratings as the Tahoe hybrid. Which makes them not worth the extra dough, imo. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't see why GM figures it would build so few of the hybrids. If they can figure out how to get the price down (and not gouge Canadians so much), they should be able to sell 5k hybrids in Canada, let alone south of the border. Who wouldn't want a pickup truck that gets 30 mpg?

30mpg? Canadian MPG? I didn't think the Tahoe and Silverado hybrids even managed 20 US mpg..

I'll pass on all the hybrid complexity, thanks.

They know that 5,000 will sell in no time, they do it on purpose. They love to screw us over and make a beg for them to build it the make limited runs so that there is a waiting list.

When I bought my truck in December, I would have bought a hybrid hands down. Being an energy consultant, it would have created a "greener" image then my flex fuel. . . I dont even want to get started on the fact that the closes station in 80 kms aways!

30mpg? Canadian MPG? I didn't think the Tahoe and Silverado hybrids even managed 20 US mpg..

Sorry, I forget the source, whether it was the WSJ or the New York Times, but one of them drove the Tahoe hybrid and it was rivalling the 4 cylinder Camry for gas mileage. GM cites at least a 25% improvement in gas mileage over the conventional truck. For someone who actually uses their truck (as opposed to the posers), this could amount to significant fuel savings over the life of the vehicle.

What GM is doing with the Oshawa plant is pure brinkmanship, nothing more, nothing less. The union gloated they 'gave up nothing' on their contract and now both Ottawa and Queen's Park are at Oshawa's door with promises of cash. Seems like a smart business move to me. Honda can do it in Alliston and Toyota in Woodstock, so why would GM be any different?