Gauntlet thrown: Corvette ZR1 laps the 'Ring in 7:26.4

x09ch_cr079.jpg

Tadge J. Juechter, Corvette's chief engineer, announced this morning that Jim Mero, GM's development engineer, drove the ZR1 around the Nurburgring in 7:26.4. According to the GMNext blog, the run took place earlier this morning and that conditions were good on the track, with the exception of a strong headwind down the main straight. Mero also mentioned that he felt there were a few places where he could have gone faster, although no details were provided about why and where.

Juechter makes it clear in his post that the ZR1 that lapped the 'Ring in bone-stock trim, with the exception of safety and communications equipment. As such, the ZR1 was wearing the same Michelin Pilot Sport 2s that will be found on the production model, the chassis alignment and vehicle height were set to factory specs and the unmodified engine was running on pump gas.

The lap began with a rolling start – which falls in line with current industry practices – and the time was confirmed both through an electronic timing system and two hand-held stopwatches. The ZR1 team will be posting a video of their run when they return from Germany and we'll be keeping our eye out for it when it's online the week of July 7th.

Source: Autoblog

Obviously the guy that drove it must be pretty good round the 'ring, but if they got a professional driver (guy that tested the Z06?) I see no reason why he couldn't get it under 7:20. That's less than a 1.5% improvement in time, if that means anything.

Obviously the guy that drove it must be pretty good round the 'ring, but if they got a professional driver (guy that tested the Z06?) I see no reason why he couldn't get it under 7:20. That's less than a 1.5% improvement in time, if that means anything.

I know it is nothing but a bragging right, but the fact you have Europhiles and Nipponophiles having phobia of American sports car, this car should have knocked off their front teeth by a bigger blow. They should retime the thing considering the fact Acura is hell bend to make the timing better and there is a lighter and more powerful GuTteR sitting around the corner.

I think they may have held back. The GTR Spec-V coming nd will try to beat this time, but if it's slower than the Vette can really do they may be just setting a trap for Nissan to just beat it, and then beat Nissan with a new, lower time.

GM has held back as I believe GM has kept some in reserve for the future.

The ZR-1 engine has been stated to have been tested up to 725 HP with approved EPA emissions and durability.

Some have said it even has seen 750 HP but that could not be attributed to a GM scouce

Also and sorry I can not recall which Chevy offical was asked if the ZR-1 would have over 700 HP about a year ago but he was quoted as [ No we will not do 700 HP the first year."]

I expect we will see the ZR-1 increase in power till the C7 arrives. The last year of this car should really be the king of the hill.

Trust me the ZR-1 will make it into the teens before it is over.

GM has held back as I believe GM has kept some in reserve for the future.

The ZR-1 engine has been stated to have been tested up to 725 HP with approved EPA emissions and durability.

Some have said it even has seen 750 HP but that could not be attributed to a GM scouce

Also and sorry I can not recall which Chevy offical was asked if the ZR-1 would have over 700 HP about a year ago but he was quoted as [ No we will not do 700 HP the first year."]

I expect we will see the ZR-1 increase in power till the C7 arrives. The last year of this car should really be the king of the hill.

Trust me the ZR-1 will make it into the teens before it is over.

Yeah... As if we'll see it.

Maybe we can get excited about a 4 cylinder Corvette! (SARCASM)

• 5 months later...
Yeah... As if we'll see it.

Maybe we can get excited about a 4 cylinder Corvette! (SARCASM)

Well, I can remember the anemic 305 Corvettes we had out here on the left coast some years back (1980?). As I recall they were about 180 HP. Not out of range of what the average 'high performance' 4 cyl would put out nowadays.

• 1 month later...
Well, I can remember the anemic 305 Corvettes we had out here on the left coast some years back (1980?). As I recall they were about 180 HP. Not out of range of what the average 'high performance' 4 cyl would put out nowadays.

Uhh, 180 is just an average four-cylinder. A high performance 4 cylinder (with FI) gets in the 250-300 HP range... or at least the same power as a base LT1.

>>"Uhh, 180 is just an average four-cylinder. A high performance 4 cylinder (with FI) gets in the 250-300 HP range... or at least the same power as a base LT1. "<<

Question is- at what level of power capacity is a 300 HP 4-banger, vs, the same for a 180 HP 350 ?? Don't we have a descendant of the SBC at 638 HP on the showroom floor now? The 180-HP version is trotted out ehre as if that's all it could possibly do.