Questions about 4x4 Silverado/Sierra 2500HD trucks

Jamie

If all goes well, I'll be looking for a used 4x4 Silverado/Sierra 2500HD truck in a few weeks. A crew Crew Cab or Extended Cab is a must, but the bed length doesn't matter. I know all about Holden Utes, but except for driving a 2002 model Extended Cab, Long Bed, 2WD Silverado 2500HD across the US a few years ago, the Chevy/GMC trucks are something I have very little experience with.

I expect to be looking at 2002 to 2006 models, but I could go a few years older if the truck is really good and the right price.

Are there any years or models to avoid? Conversely, are there any years and models that are really good? Are there any common problem areas I should examine on a potential purchase?

I can't help you out too much, but the GMT-800 series ran in two different "generations" - 1999-2002 and 2003-2006. I do know that along with a MCE, there were a ton of updates done to the GMT-800 pickups with the intro of the 2003 models. Camino and Balthazar are owners of Chevy Silverados from this era, hopefully they'll see this post and respond (in addition to others).

Those Silverados are great all around trucks, James.

It's hard to go wrong with any of them provided that they are in good condition and well-maintained.

Thing is, there are so many configurations and options involved that we'd need more info. on what you're looking for from a truck to give you much guidance. These trucks run the gamut from cheap V6 work trucks to high-end status cruisers and from light duty half tons to duallies.

I would say to avoid the 6.0 V8 if you are concerned at all with fuel economy - it's a great engine, but very thirsty. The 8.1 big block actually gets better mileage.

Thing is, there are so many configurations and options involved that we'd need more info. on what you're looking for from a truck to give you much guidance. These trucks run the gamut from cheap V6 work trucks to high-end status cruisers and from light duty half tons to duallies

I'll be looking at a V8 (I'd like a diesel with an Allison trans, but they attract a big price premium) that I can fit with a snow plow kit to do the long driveway on the house we're looking at buying. It's also going to be a bad weather vehicle for my wife to drive the 45 minutes to work (or for me to come and rescue her if she gets into trouble in her car). I'm not really worried about bling, but I want the option of fitting a camper box. The 2500HD would be the minimum spec. Just not enough capability in the 1500s.

I would say to avoid the 6.0 V8 if you are concerned at all with fuel economy - it's a great engine, but very thirsty. The 8.1 big block actually gets better mileage.

Yeah. Driving the 2002 across the US we got 13 mpg out of the 6.0. It didn't matter if the truck was totally unladen or was towing a Camaro on a trailer, it still got 13 mpg on the highway.

I bought my '04 from the first owner, who beat on it, I'm sure, more than I want to know. I have maintained it religiously since I got it. Bought it in the summer of '06 with 46K on it, it just turned 70K this weekend. DuraMax 2500HD Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.5' bed.

I had the lower steering column bearing replaced (this, I've heard is an occasional issue), and one front bearing/hub. Truck has had no other issues, run very well, built like nothing else. Not sure just how much interchanges with 'lesser' {snif} Silvies. I get 17 around town, and tho I run injector cleaner every few tanks, I still think 1 injector is a bit off (Injectors in this era are warrantied for 7y/200K). Highway trips have netted mid-19s. This is the LLY 310/605 mill / 5-spd Allison / 3.73s. Just a killer truck.

Buddy has an '07 1500 RC/LB V-6- zero issues so far.

Brother has an '07 3500 EC 4x4 DuraMax, put his utility body on it, tows trailers/skid steers, zero issues.

Brother-in-law has an '07 3500 EC dually DuraMax- zero issues.

These trucks are everywhere.

hrmmm i've got a 01 3500 with the 8.1... great truck, dually... 2wd... i really like it... only problem i had with it was a crank possition sensor, which left me stranded... but got it fixed in a day, and cost me a couple hundred bucks or so... i've got some major front suspension problems that were probably caused by the previous owner, so i go through front tires really fast... but... i dont feel like fixing it... maybe when i come home from kuwait...

ive heard some problems with certain allyson transmissions, but my experiance has been excelent...

if you hear the twirling(whisling) sound with the allison, its normal...