Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

RC Cars

Satty

I was out and about, and bought this for my son's birthday. That got me thinking about getting an RC car of my own. Maybe this 1:24 Chevy Wrangler (I laughed when I saw that on the website) or an FJ Cruiser/Hummer type off roader so I can play with it in the back yard. Toys R Us did have a couple cars that I'm interested in, one is a green Barracuda that looked pretty cool, the other is a Porsche 911 that is incredibly detailed, but $65 for something that I'm going to burn the motor out on then disassemble for fun seems like a waste.

Wal-Mart did have a Hot Wheels BMW M6 on clearance, but I hate RC cars that only use AA batteries.

If I'm gonna advocate RC cars at all, I have to go with hobby-grade models over any toy kind. I'll return to it when I have kids. I haven't gotten down with them since I was 16 (when I moved on to full-scale cars).

BTW, I still hate Associated to this day.

I still have my Tyco RC Mutator from when I was younger. I drove the wheels off of that thing...burned out 2 of the 4 motors eventually. I wanted to fix it but could never get the damn thing apart.

The Hobby grad cars are cooler but cost alot. I met a guy once who said he had put over a grand into his...that's nuts.

Right now I'm more into RC planes, I have a SuperCub which is fun to fly...and you can't kill them.

I still have my Tyco RC Mutator from when I was younger. I drove the wheels off of that thing...burned out 2 of the 4 motors eventually. I wanted to fix it but could never get the damn thing apart.

The Hobby grad cars are cooler but cost alot. I met a guy once who said he had put over a grand into his...that's nuts.

Hobby cars are where it's at because you can actually fix them and because there's an aftermarket for when one does want to go a little wilder.

When a toy car breaks or goes bad, it's time to throw it away. Unlike hobby cars, they're basically molds and glue. Not meant to be tuned and tweaked. About the only toy brand I could appreciate was Nikko because of the 1/10 scale cars they had. As long as you had a 540 motor (as opposed to the skinnier 380), you could play like one of the big boys....to an extent.

But it's like any good hobby like comics or being into sneakers or records...or building a Chevy! Gotta moderate yourself. You might not get the first print of Marvel Comics #1 or the Honus Wagner card, or every colorway of deadstock original issue Jordan XIIs or own a best in show cover queen turbocharged 454 63 Corvette, but you can enjoy a hobby in your lane on a budget. Moderation is key.

æ = GREATEST RC MANUFACTURER EVER!!! http://www.rc10.com/index.htm

I have a Factory Team TC3 and RC10 GT most reliable rc's i've owned. Although i picked up an ofna LX One and its been good so far. needs a 2speed though.

Hobby Class is the only way to go. Nitro is even sweeter. If you start off with nitro go Traxxas cause they are easy to work on and can take a beating. then step up to an æ or Team Losi or HPI or OFNA then you appreciate Handling and jumping physics a whole lot more.

Right now I'm more into RC planes

lol thats easy to do if your carpet or ashphalt racing

Car 350

Wheels 40

Radio 200

Servo 120

ESC 150

Motor 60

Body 20

battery pack 85

Charger 250

tools 150

Tuning guides Caster camber and ride height scales 60

Your up to 1200 in just getting your fully carbon/graphite model to roll straight and drive you havent broke an A-arm yet or anything. My collection is in the 5k mark by now easily. I thought about racing again but all my $h! is out dated again.

Planes get expesnive though when you crash your $500 replica of a DC-3 and it splinters into a billion pieces.