Sucking gas....

I'm having an issue with the "beater" (aka the Cobalt)..

I've been doing updates on the car.....and some things to improve the gas milage...

I got it up from 15 to a bit over 23 now. :sign0200:

The fuel system cleaning and the air filter change (along with some other stuff) is helping...but in city driving the last few days, it seems going through gas again..

The one thing I haven't changed yet is the fuel filter yet....I wonder if that is really hurting my MPGs that much?

I know it is due for one (has 32k now), but it would surprise me if the fuel filter is in that bad of shape.

Then again, the previous owner was a bit rough on the car..... :rolleyes:

I'm planning on changing it here very soon....so I think it will help....

I was wondering..when do you guys change your fuel filters? Did you get nice improvement?

When I replaced the wagon's and the wife's Cav....the improvements were nice....

The s-10...not so much......

Fuel system cleaner I highly recommend.

Fuel filter, Im not so knowledgable on.

When the Achieva recieved its new fuel tank, the mechanic opted to use the old fuel filter, saying it was still fine. He said Id be wasting money on such a minor thing. The Achieva meets or exceeds EPA estimates, so Im not sweating.

Fuel system cleaner I highly recommend.

Fuel filter, Im not so knowledgable on.

When the Achieva recieved its new fuel tank, the mechanic opted to use the old fuel filter, saying it was still fine. He said Id be wasting money on such a minor thing. The Achieva meets or exceeds EPA estimates, so Im not sweating.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping to see people who might have had this problem before......

Something tells me that while most of the issue lies with the FF, I', wondering if it could be something else too....

But it is going to a fuel system cleaner today.... :yes:

MAF sensor is probably dirty. The heated wire that hangs in the center gets dirty and gives a false readingto the computer, raising the desire for fuel. Use a Q-tip with alcohol on it to wipe off the wire CAREFULLY or spray contact cleaner on the assembly out of the car. Did this on my LT1's and they showed decent improvements after the cleaning (I used the Q-tip method)

Also, it never hurts to WASH the inside of your intake tubes and airbox, as this can collect hidden dirt over the miles that get past the air filter. Dirt gets dislodged and gets into the MAF or air temp sensor in tubing, giving you false readings...and as if I need to type this; PLEASE REMOVE THEM PRIOR TO HOSING THEM DOWN!!!