Union Bashing

Hey guys, I wanted to take a step back and take in what everyone was saying about the Delphi issue. Everyone has their opinions and that's ok. Some of it is understandable, especially the union bashing. If I was on the outside, watching news reports where they interview the big guy, who may not have had much of an education, saying the things we hear ... I'd think that the UAW was a bunch of idiots who just demand more money and better benefits. Years ago, some of you may have even seen the UAW president hitting his fist on the table yelling about the auto companies. There are still guys like that. More of the old-timers. But they had reason to be like that. The old guys with through a lot of hell. Sad to say, it really was "us against them". But things have changed over the years. Union and management started seeing what was happening (losing market share and profits) and decided it was time to work together. It started slowly, but over the years has grown. A UAW worker today knows how lucky we are to to getting paid what we do. I consider myself lucky as hell. People actually think we get all get $150,000 a year plus our benefits. Last year I worked a lot of overtime and I made $73,000. Pretty good money, but far from what most people think we make. And believe it or not, I even have some college under my belt. (if I've mis-spelled anything in here, I've been out for a while. :) ) Sorry if I'm rambling and nothing is going togther here, but, I wanted to put a true human face on a UAW worker, who cares about what's going on in the world, and mostly, in our country. I don't vote Republican or Democrat. I vote for the best guy or gal out there. And last but not least, I try and raise my kids with good moral values, to do what's right, and to believe in God. I'm willing to bet that we all have a lot more in commond than some of you think. Simon

what do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

[post="36159"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

STOP !

Personally I would not answer that question. I have asked similar question to some of those who feel we non frat boys are only worth 9 dollars an hour and have yet to get just even a handle on where they stand in the giant assembly line of America.

This is a set up to start a screamer about how, no way in hell are you worth and you lack of skills worth 73 thou with overtime.

Its a great living and Im happy for you, not jelous. Its far beyond our combined income but I know better than to chop another down because my industry has no organization.

This is not personal to Lakefire he has been one of the more reasonable few. Ok Lakefire ? Nothing to do with you. :)

lakefire Posted Today, 07:17 PM what do you do, if you don't mind me asking? I don't mind. I work in the Quality Department. My main job is Document Control on a web based site, but I also help verify gages, do machine runoffs, help Team Leaders put out their JES's (Job Element Sheets), take pictures of problem parts to put out visual aids, and last but not least, I've started working on T/S 16949. It's the international standard for "establishing and maintaining a quality system" for the automotive industry. Some of you guys probably heard of T/S. Anyway, that's what I do. I've been at my plant for over 28 years.

lakefire Posted Today, 07:17 PM
  what do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind. I work in the Quality Department. My main job is Document Control on a web based site, but I also help verify gages, do machine runoffs, help Team Leaders put out their JES's (Job Element Sheets), take pictures of problem parts to put out visual aids, and last but not least, I've started working on T/S 16949. It's the international standard for "establishing and maintaining a quality system" for the automotive industry. Some of you guys probably heard of T/S.
Anyway, that's what I do. I've been at my plant for over 28 years.

[post="36207"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's cool..a good friend of my dad works in quality also... :)