FUTURE PRODUCTS -- GENERAL MOTORS

Jamie LaReau

Automotive News

August 25, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

The oldest car in Saturn's lineup is the Sky roadster, which debuted for the 2007 model year.

For the future, an entry-level car is likely, but when or which model is still a work in progress. A mini-minivan also is penciled in, but the timing hasn't been decided.

The redesigned Astra hatchback is on the way. But with GM's budgetary constraints, Saturn's remaining product line may be in showrooms for a long time.

Small entry: An entry-level model positioned below the Astra is under consideration. Still to be decided is whether Saturn will offer a version of the redesigned Opel Corsa, a European subcompact, or a different model. The car would be developed on GM's global Gamma vehicle architecture.

A year ago, product chief Bob Lutz told reporters that a Corsa could come to the United States as soon as the 2010 model year. But with the changing U.S. regulations for corporate average fuel economy and GM's ever-changing product plans because of financial problems, a Corsa is unlikely to hit the States until the 2013 model year.

Astra: The Opel-based Astra compact will be re-engineered and restyled for the 2011 model year, developed on GM's next-generation global Delta vehicle architecture. The current model is assembled in Belgium; the next generation will come from GM's new plant in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.

Aura: The re-engineered, restyled mid-sized car has been pushed back to the 2012 model year, at the earliest. The new Aura is based on the Opel Insignia, which will go on sale this year in Europe. For the 2010 model year, the Aura likely will get a freshening.

Sky: The roadster is expected to receive a reskin in the 2011 model year. After that, any changes will be depend on how viable the car is in the marketplace. If it survives, a redesigned Sky could arrive in early 2014.

Entry crossover: Saturn is considering a small, entry-level crossover off the global Gamma architecture, possibly for the 2012 model year. It would seat four people, be smaller than the Vue and be priced under its larger sibling.

Vue: The Vue small crossover gets a Two Mode hybrid in the 2009 model year and a plug-in hybrid the next model year. The Vue is scheduled to be redesigned for 2014.

MPV: The mini-minivan planned for Saturn has been delayed, possibly until the 2011 model year, maybe longer. The vehicle essentially will be a version of the redesigned Opel Zafira that will be sold in Europe. The minivan will seat six or seven, but the back row is essentially for children.

Outlook: Unless sales of this crossover improve, GM likely can't afford to do much in terms of restyling or re-engineering. Bottom line: Its future is in doubt.

Link: http://www.autonews.com/article/20080825/ANA03/808250313

I don't understand this... how is it so costly to simply rebadge Opels?

All of this "we don't have enough money" BS from GM is really getting on my nerves. They don't even have enough money to rebadge cars they're going to make anyways? WTF? Lame excuses and I'm not buying it.

All of this "we don't have enough money" BS from GM is really getting on my nerves. They don't even have enough money to rebadge cars they're going to make anyways? WTF? Lame excuses and I'm not buying it.

Because if you could just take one car and move it wherever you wanted to, life would be that much easier. They have to use different powerplants than they use in Europe (due to emissions regulations) which require additional fabrication of motor mounts, ECU, compatible tranny, etc....not to mention marketing costs (brochures, print ads, etc.), make sure the car meets North American crash standards, and I bet some more would be involved in the process.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think the Corsa will get here very soon. GM needs a car of that size, worthy of making the public aware that things at GM have changed (or so they want us all to believe). The Aveo, selling solely on risen gas prices, isn't going to cut it. The car needs to be overhauled inside and out. I suspect until that happens, and since they can't afford re-engineering costs these days, it might just be cheaper to import the corsa and sucker up the costs to get it here (like what I've mentioned above) until they can re-d the aveo the way it should be done.

• 4 weeks later...

Stick a fork in this sucker, Its Done!

Hummer, Saab, and Saturn are being sold off and Pontiac is being phased out.

GM is going to be the global brands of Chevy, Buick/Opel/Vauxhall/Holden, and Cadillac. GMC will be phased out altered greatly or become GM's ONLY brand selling trucks.

This of course is the worst case scenario considering GM's woes, the economy, Gas Prices, and CAFE.

Stick a fork in this sucker, Its Done!

GM is going to be the global brands of Chevy, Buick/Opel/Vauxhall/Holden, and Cadillac. GMC will be phased out altered greatly or become GM's ONLY brand selling trucks.

This of course is the worst case scenario considering GM's woes, the economy, Gas Prices, and CAFE.

I roll my eyes at you sir.

I went back 4 months only, but Saturn was the top performing GM brand as measured by the smallest loss of sales on month to month comparison with last year. Lots of differnt metrics to measure success, but still quite impressive.

x2, the out of money tagline is getting old and tired. if you're out of money, then shut your doors. GM if they had their $h! together could build most of their cars of 4-5 platforms.

Because if you could just take one car and move it wherever you wanted to, life would be that much easier. They have to use different powerplants than they use in Europe (due to emissions regulations) which require additional fabrication of motor mounts, ECU, compatible tranny, etc....not to mention marketing costs (brochures, print ads, etc.), make sure the car meets North American crash standards, and I bet some more would be involved in the process.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think the Corsa will get here very soon. GM needs a car of that size, worthy of making the public aware that things at GM have changed (or so they want us all to believe). The Aveo, selling solely on risen gas prices, isn't going to cut it. The car needs to be overhauled inside and out. I suspect until that happens, and since they can't afford re-engineering costs these days, it might just be cheaper to import the corsa and sucker up the costs to get it here (like what I've mentioned above) until they can re-d the aveo the way it should be done.

there is no reason why opel's lineup

corsa

astra

insignia

zafira

captiva

and whatever else

couldn't be successful here.

of course, pricing is important. but simple thing like an armrest and a cupholder + good engine power is all they need to differ from their euro cousins.

we need to show the uptight euros the joys of sipping on a diet coke while driving.

plain and simple, as much as anything MANAGEMENT INCOMPETENCE IN DETROIT is the root of GM's problems, especially since they done ok tackling reducing union wages thing.

the only caveat i would add to that saturn / opel lineup....if the astra wasn't here in sedan form, than bring back the Ion.

astra, must be 3 door, 5 door, wagon, sedan.

did GM ever stop to think.....maybe lacking NAV and SYNC hurts a brand like Saturn? Cmon people, folks are a year or two away from expecting TELEVISION and INTERNET in their cars also. GM never seems to get entertainment and tech in cars. OnStar is left for dead unless they evolve to become an entertainment provider also, I feel. On Star should have purchased XM and Sirius and also aligned itself with Direct TV for cars......and add streaming audio, true NAV, and internet services. GM could seriously lead in incar tech and they choose not to. ANother management failure. that window is gone.

Saturn as a brand could really piggy back on being top notch in tech.

Edited by regfootball

Now I get it. We all have every right to be pessimistic right now, and not just about cars.

Exactly, I just pray that GM and Ford can survive these times.

The good news is that GM and Ford are in their best position for real growth since World War 2 if they are able to spread their best products globally.

I'm just being overly dramatic. GM seems to want such a crappy thing to happen, at least their product management hints at it.

I am just a bit pessimistic about things like this.

Well, GM and it's employees have been told for years that they aren't "good enough" (by the media, the government, the other automakers, the public, etc.)

So maybe this is a case of learned helplessness and GM is finally throwing in the towel and resigning to defeat.

Or at least, that's what it looks like to me.

It's just too bad that the company, it's management and it's employees are such push overs. And that the company itself isn't smart enough to figure out, or care, NOT surrender like all of the afore mentioned entities want.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Well, GM and it's employees have been told for years that they aren't "good enough" (by the media, the government, the other automakers, the public, etc.)

I think that you might enjoy this article.

Three Reasons to Feel Good About American Automakers

Hit with sales losses, plant closings, and staff cutbacks, it seems like the American automotive landscape is stuck under a dark cloud. Tired of all the bad media surrounding America's Big Three automakers, Consumer Guide went out in search of some good news.

Speaking to senior executives from Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors, we asked each for "three reasons to feel good about your company."

<snip>