Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The BIG things gov't should do

Camino LS6

I see them as pretty basic. I also think government should resist doing any more than stricly necessary.

- Infrastructure

- Defense

- Diplomacy

- Trade

- Environmental protection

- Education

- Energy independence

- Pure research

- Space exploration

- basic safety standards ( I do mean basic)

What would you add?/ subract?

When you say government, do you mean things that the national government is responsible for, or government across all levels? The level of government responsible for a specific task is a pretty important factor in making sure things are run as well as possible.

When you say government, do you mean things that the national government is responsible for, or government across all levels? The level of government responsible for a specific task is a pretty important factor in making sure things are run as well as possible.

Great point.

I guess I was looking at it mostly at the federal level, but much of my thinking would apply at more local levels as well.

Divide it how you see it.

I see these strictly necessary.

- Defense

- Diplomacy

- maybe Trade

most everything else is handled better at the state or local level, because any litigation involving the others does not happen at the national level.

- Infrastructure, i took out because now a days that can mean transportation of all kinds, and also could cover energy infrastructure...so should that be nationalized?..sewers/water, mass transit?

- basic safety standards ( I do mean basic) i know what you mean, but now adays if safety was deregulated, consumers by and large wouldn't buy things that would get below average ratings.

if you mean to include environmental/health safety...if interstate (between state) pollution was a problem research would have to be done for containment or purifying... some very basic "epa/fda" rules could be useful, like water quality they could be combined eliminating some waste, tax $, vehicles, talent, etc.

most everything else is handled better at the state or local level, because any litigation involving the others does not happen at the national level.

- Infrastructure, i took out because now a days that can mean transportation of all kinds, and also could cover energy infrastructure...so should that be nationalized?..sewers/water, mass transit?

- basic safety standards ( I do mean basic) i know what you mean, but now adays if safety was deregulated, consumers by and large wouldn't buy things that would get below average ratings.

if you mean to include environmental/health safety...if interstate (between state) pollution was a problem research would have to be done for containment or purifying... some very basic "epa/fda" rules could be useful, like water quality they could be combined eliminating some waste, tax $, vehicles, talent, etc.

Infrastructure as in maintaining/replacing the roads, bridges, rail lines, dams, and yes the power grid etc. Be it at the local or federal level, these items are in dire need of attention. For energy infrastructure I see national security issues there - and thus a federal presence.

On basic safety standards - yes, I mean EPA/FDA as well as reasonable OSHA regulations for the workplace and such. Nothing draconian, just common sense, anti-negligence level regs.

Infrastructure as in maintaining/replacing the roads, bridges, rail lines, dams, and yes the power grid etc. Be it at the local or federal level, these items are in dire need of attention. For energy infrastructure I see national security issues there - and thus a federal presence.

On basic safety standards - yes, I mean EPA/FDA as well as reasonable OSHA regulations for the workplace and such. Nothing draconian, just common sense, anti-negligence level regs.

i took an osha class. the best evolution of osha has been working with companies instead of being "the man" to fear...or so my teacher said. i believe it.

but at the same time should their regs prevent more stringent regs at the state level... like how CA wanted basically kill ICE's when the EV-1 came out? too much federal oversight can kill the idea of state autonomy. i'm sure you realize this, these ideas just have to be very carefully put into place so it can't be abused.

i know what mean with "national security"...but that planning/oversight is either private(with oversight) or state run, and some might say it's pitiful, now. i think it could only get worse ...like how education has gone since the dept. of education has 2x in size... we've not seen any real positives, and won't likely.

federal oversight can be done in D.C., that's their "home turf"

Add: Close the Department of Homeland Security, or severely limit its powers. Repeal the Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act, and anything else enacted under the Bush Administration that infringes on the Constitution.

Defense: pull out of Iraq, cut the defense budget in half (even if it means closing some bases) and spend that money back home. We can't afford to police the world any longer; we are the Roman Empire of the 21st century and we will not last much longer if we keep piling up the debt.

Environmental: I'm ok with CAFE as long as it is one unified standard and is reasonably attainable. However, the government should help foot some of the bill for R&D if they expect such rapid change.

Trade: This one should be obvious...end the outsourcing of labor. Punish those corporations that do, whether through higher taxes or decreased federal assistance, etc. I'm generally against regulation of business and industry, but do we lose millions of jobs so that those at the peak of the corporate ladder can make a greater profit with cheap labor? At what point do the execs forego the greed and think of the millions of middle class Americans that suddenly can't support themselves because they have been laid off and there is no other work available that pays the same? I know this is a global world, but I would hope there is still some allegiance to the place you live and your fellow citizens.

I'm tired, so I'll probably add more later.