Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I helped convince a coworker to buy a GM

One of my coworkers has been looking to buy an SUV and instead of a Toyota, I convinced him that a Chevy TrailBlazer was a bargain and a good choice instead of a Highlander or 4Runner... After checking Consumer Reports, etc and test driving a few, he bought a used '05 with 12k miles for $20k. (now he's probably the only 30yr old Indian programmer in Denver driving a Chevy (no kidding-- 99% of software developers from India I know drive Toyotas--not a stereotype)

One of my coworkers has been looking to buy an SUV and instead of a Toyota, I  convinced him that a Chevy TrailBlazer was a bargain and a good choice instead of a Highlander or 4Runner...

After checking Consumer Reports, etc and test driving a few, he bought a used '05 with 12k miles for $20k.
(now he's probably the only 30yr old Indian programmer in Denver driving a Chevy (no kidding-- 99% of software developers from India I know drive Toyotas--not a stereotype)

[post="36751"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

76% of statistics are made up. do you really know 100 or more software developers from india?

76% of statistics are made up.  do you really know 100 or more software developers from india?

At least 100...I've been in the software business 10 years, and worked with a lot of people from all over--esp. Indians here on H1-B visas... inevitably,when we talk cars, it comes to Toyota (a few Honda and Nissan). I have a lot of Indian friends in the biz and they agree that Toyota is an easy choice for people when they come to the US..

The 99% is an overly high guesstimate, of course, but Toyota definitely seems to be in the majority based on my observations of this demographic.. Edited by moltar

Um... uh... I helped convince my grandma to buy a Cobalt in the summer. Uh... yeah, that has been pretty much it. Nobody, especially my parents really take anything I say seriously. Because of that we are stuck with a POS, my aunt is stuck with a POS, and others never really looked for my opinion. I, ofcourse, am the only one who knows crap because of the internet, magazines, and my ever-growing love of automobiles.... but no, I'm 16, I know crap.

At least 100...I've been in the software business 10 years, and worked with a lot of people from all over--esp.  Indians here on H1-B visas... inevitably,when we talk cars, it comes to Toyota (a few Honda and Nissan). I have a lot of Indian friends in the biz and they agree that Toyota is an easy choice for people when they come to the US..

The 99% is an overly high guesstimate, of course, but Toyota definitely seems to be in the majority based on my observations of this demographic..

[post="36784"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

damn, and i was going to make a joke along the lines of "how is it that a fraction of a person you know owns a toyota".

ten years, eh? i haven't quite been around the biz that long, but i've been around disproportionately fewer people overall! what do you do?

I told a co-worker to look at a G6 when he was ready to ditch his Alero (he grew to hate) before he went to buy an Accord. He actually didn't make it to the Honda dealership and has a G6 now. Prior to that my pop was looking at Buicks, 300M's and Camry's, none impressing him enough till I got him to look at an Aurora.