My thoughts on a 5th gen

!!!TED!!!

I was doing some research/surfing, and stumbled on something I wrote way back in 2002.

This was at a critical time, as the 4th gen Camaro was ending its run.

Debate ran rampant about a replacement.

This all sorta came to me and I wrote it out...

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7211

06-30-2002, 02:28 AM

I just got back from the future. After parking my DMC Delorean in the drive, I flipped through the stash of e-magazines I brought back with me. Heres something that will cheer you guys up:

Motor Trend, March 2006:

CAMARO IS BACK!

by Kevin Smith

Detroit---After the last Camaro was sold in 2002, many enthusiasts swore they would abandon General Motors, and go to the competitors. After 35 years of performance and style, production ended with no replacement in sight. Back then, The Company was just comming out of the "dark days" of Zarella-ism and brand management. But with the hiring of Robert Lutz, former Chrysler pace setter, and the man key to the Dodge Viper's success, plus many fresh faces, things were changing for the better. There were many who believed that one day the Camaro would return, better than ever.

That day has come, although it took some time. For those who have waited patiantely, you will not be dissapointed. For those who jumped ship, you should fasten your life preservers!

The 2007 Chevrolet Camaro was a long time coming, with millions of dollars invested, and more than a couple of years spent debating and perfecting the winning formula.

The project was originally an underground movement by the Corvette-Camaro team. While work was being done on the C6 (which made its debue two years ago to great acclaim), a small group of designers and engineers focused their efforts on designing proposals for a new Camaro.

It was a tough sell. They had to struggle with management that prefered to lavish big brother Cadillac and sister Pontiac with inovative products.

The case was made that Chevrolet needed a true ponycar. After the Ford Mustang (new for 2005) and Dodge Charger with the newfangled HEMI appeared, there was nothing else to do but greenlight the project.

Since most of the work was already in the early concieving stages, the program was already an easy choice for approval.

"THIS THING IS A WORK OF ART"

Many of the early ideas were for a retro (or as designers prefer to say, heritage) design. The look would borrow from the 1st generation Camaro (1967-69). After the Ford Thunderbird flopped in its second year, and sales of the old-flavour PT Cruiser sank to new lows, emphasis was put on a fresh look.

Borrowing elements from previous 'maros, the stylists made a handsome and down right mean looking car. This thing is a work of art.

The front end is very reminicent of early Z/28's, with big foglights and semi-concealed headlights. There is a seamlessly intergrated hood scoop, and cowl induction makes a return. The new Camaro is a true coupe, banishing the hatch design that was a staple for 3 generations. It has a quarter window, and perfectly proportioned spoiler simular to the 1970-73 cars. The wheel arches (front and back) are accented by very sleek cutlines that extend to the rear of the car. Speaking of the rear, its all buisiness back there. True dual-dual exhuast ports, the afformentioned spoiler and a futuristic interpretation of the 1982-92 tailights will be seen by many a Mustang driver..often!

"A TRUE DRIVERS CAR"

Inside the 5th generation Camaro, is more ussable room than ever. In fact, more than anything the competition offers. The seats are as comfortable as a catchers mit. Leather seating is an option on the SS. Multi-stage airbags (dual front, side, and new lower-level) will help keep things safe in case of emergency. The dash layout is user friendly, with information legibly displayed on white faced guages. This plus HVAC controls within easy reach make this a true drivers car. T-top fans rejoice, as they are offered across the board on all trim levels. Want to know the best part? The rear seats are ussable by adults. Im 6'2, and found the rear very accomadating to my frame.

"THIS THING IS HELLA FAST!"

Ok, so the new Camaro looks good and has a nice interior. What about performance?

There are three trim levels offered. Camaro RS, Z/28, and SS. The RS is the new base model, featuring the high-tech Vortec 4200 I6 engine. The same engine that powers the GMC Envoy and Chevy Trailblazer (also available on Buick Rainier). In the RS, this engine is tuned to produce a stout 285 horsepower and 280 foot-pounds of torque.

Need more power? Then move on up to the SS. Unlike the previouse camaro, the new SS is the middle model, offering luxury and style.

The engine offered is the trusty LS1 V8 producing 335 horsepower. This thing is hella fast, but...still need more "go"??? Move up to the Z/28, the ultimate Camaro. Special equiped with beefier suspension and highly modified racing bits (based on the C6R). It gives you a full blown LS6 V8, bursting out 400 horses at 5800 rpm and delivering 390 lb-ft of torque at 4700 rpm.

Preliminary Test Data (for Z/28 model):

Acceleration, sec, 0-30 mph 1.88

0-40 mph 2.71

0-50 mph 3.34

0-60 mph 4.46

0-70 mph 5.23

0-90 mph 7.15

0-100 mph 8.91

1/4 mile, sec/mph 12.42/123.4

0-100-0 mph, sec 14.81

Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 127

600-ft slalom, mph 67.5

Turning circle, ft 36.9

Top gear rpm @ 60 mph 2000

The I6 thing is in reference to the original plan at the time.

Remember the BelAir concept car? The one that started life as a Camaro proposal, and morphed into a modern tri-five.

It featured a Vortec 3500 turbocharged inline five-cylinder concept engine that made 315 horsepower.

Wayne Cherry reffered to this engine as: "just as significant as that V8 was in the ’55".

Remember the BelAir concept car? The one that started life as a Camaro proposal, and morphed into a modern tri-five.

It featured a Vortec 3500 turbocharged inline five-cylinder concept engine that made 315 horsepower.

Wayne Cherry reffered to this engine as: "just as significant as that V8 was in the ’55".

I remember that concept..didn't realize it had a Camaro angle.

If I posted all the letters I wrote to magazine & GM about the feasibility,

and NEED for a 5th gen. (1st gen. RETRO) Camaro and Firebird/TA I

think the entire internet would crash. One of my best friends, the one

who now lives in Arizona and daily drives a 1961 Rambler American was

introduced tome by my ex when she found out his senior project was my

personal crusade:

making a business case for a 5th gen. Camaro.

I did some illustrations toward this end.

That was in fall of 1999, into the spring of 2000.

Didn't Lutz hate that concept and ordered it to be restyled just before its reveal?

It got tweaked.

Different wheels, red headlight surrounds, and a chrome strip along the side. The back also recieved a BelAir badge.

GuionM does a good brief history of the 5th gen:

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585602

The 5th gen started off as a Holden VE based idea, then it moved to Sigma, then was cancelled outright. The 1999 foam based GTO concept concept car is the only thing that left GM's top secret studios that had even a hint of what they were planning.

The Camaro name was banned from all discussion because as long as there was a Ste Therese plant, and workers from that plant, GM was bound to make any future Camaro at that plant.

There were assorted unofficial meetings going over what the 5th gen should be, and ideas, and designs (the Chevy Belair concept's design started life as a variation of one idea for a Camaro). Even creating a Camaro-like car without the Camaro name.

The early 2005, Ric Wagoner, Ed Welburn, and Bob Lutz together came up with a way to get a Camaro themed car designed in time for the 2006 auto show season. Later, the thing used the Camaro name.

There's plenty of drawings from this contest (it was between 3 GM design studios). The entire process has been documented and is available with a web search.

I understand, Scott is also working on a book about the 5th gen development.

That pretty much sums up the entire Camaro issue till Scott's book comes out.

Oh yeah...

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4028203

Kevin Smith is no longer at MT. He is now at edmunds.com. Here is what he actually wrote (in 2006!):

I didn't expect to ever again type the phrase, "new Chevrolet Camaro."...The Chevrolet Camaro Concept is a busier, more extreme, more exaggerated show car, which looks much less realistic and ready for production than the Challenger. But it's impressive in its own right. There are distant hints of the classic '69 Camaro shape in the concept's rear fenders, side glass profile and pointy grille, but you have to squint a lot harder to see the history than you do with the Challenger...the Chevy looks overwrought. The production version will surely be toned down significantly (unless predictions like that steel them to the task of building the Camaro this way), and that cooled my enthusiasm slightly....

:lol::rolleyes:

Be carefull when you time travel!

Post 'em I wanna see them.

Will do. I know at least one of them turned up recently when we moved...

I'll post them when they turn up.

I like the idea of the I6...too bad it never was used in any cars... I love straight 6s.

The I-6 is a great idea. My 57 Bel Air hardtop was originally an I-6 car, and lots of cool cars (BMW"S, then original 240Z etc) are I-6.

Chris

The I-6 is a great idea. My 57 Bel Air hardtop was originally an I-6 car, and lots of cool cars (BMW"S, then original 240Z etc) are I-6.

Chris

Yes...I've had 2 I-6s so far, been happy w/ both of 'em (Jeep 4.0L, BMW 3.2L).