Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daves87rs

Valvoline vs. Mobil?

14 posts in this topic

Looks like someone wants a piece of the pie.

I've seen numerous ads the last few days (print-now TV), where Valvoline is claiming that their syn oil is better than Mobil 1.

They claim that it noy only wears better, but will last longer...

It kinda suprised me.....usually Valvoline keeps to themselves.....so I wonder why the big claim there.....

I wonder if Wallyworld will claim that their oil is better the Mobil 1 too?

What do you guys think?

Mobil 1, it's all I use.

True, and that is what one of my cars runs on now.

And the other gets it this oil change.

I'm just surprised by how Valvoline is trying to say how much better they are....

Both companies have been around for a while, now what I will say is that Valvoline has a better conventional oil, but Mobil 1 will beat the pants off Valvoline synthetic all day long.

Both companies have been around for a while, now what I will say is that Valvoline has a better conventional oil, but Mobil 1 will beat the pants off Valvoline synthetic all day long.

That much better, I guess?

Mobil 1 has been good to me so far......

Yes, that much better. No vehicle manufacturer uses Valvoline from the factory. I've done my looking GM and DCX both use Mobil (just the conventional, unless its a high performance ride, then they get Mobil 1) in there vehicles from the factory, FoMoCo uses MotorCraft (which if I recall is Havoline-based) in theres from the factory. Your European and Japanese and Korean imports all normally use one or the other from the factory.

Yes, I'm sold. I go the conventional oil change route because I can still get this service for under $ 25.

I thought I was a Castrol GTX conventional oil customer for life. Then I started to go to a Buick dealership that used Valvoline conventional oil.

(Keep in mind that at my next oil change on the Regal, I will have 250,000 miles). With either Castrol or Valvoline, the car uses virtually no oil between changes. However, for some reason, the Valvoline comes out a very light gold color while the Castrol comes out a darker gold color.

Being as they are both highly touted, I don't know what the significance, if any, there is to the Valvoline staying so clear. But I plan to keep using it.

Amsoil is like Royal Purple, its too expensive for a daily driver, now if its a rarely-driven exotic, or a high-performance machine, then yes its worth it, but for a daily driver, forget it.

Amsoil is like Royal Purple, its too expensive for a daily driver, now if its a rarely-driven exotic, or a high-performance machine, then yes its worth it, but for a daily driver, forget it.

I know someone who has RP in their Cobalt SS....

I agree....just too pricey......

I'd still say that Mobil 1 is the way to go if you're looking to go synthetic for a daily driver.

Mobil 1 and SynPower use a virtually identical blend of Group III and IV base stocks. The additives are different. In the industry's myriad techno-weenie tests, SynPower always equals or slightly exceeds the performance of Mobil 1. Buying one versus the other should come down to which one is less money at the time of purchase.

Valvo is pushing their Syn probably because Mobil 1 is almost impossible to get right now. A hurricane I'm told shut down the biggest of their refineries. We can't get it right now. We bought as much as we could from the O'Reillys hub in Tulsa, don't know what we'll do when we run out on the vettes, otherwise use the valvo or royal purple.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0