20/20 special

loki

I wanted to watch but then I saw that John Stossel was the host. To me he is like Geraldo Rivera, Nancy Grace and Andy Rooney rolled into one useless newscaster.

so the host puts you off, not the content... wow.

edit: no offense, but that's what is going to elect worse and worse people to public office.

Edited by loki

so the host puts you off, not the content... wow.

edit: no offense, but that's what is going to elect worse and worse people to public office.

No, Stossel's delivery is pretty lacking. I've yet to see anything of his that had much substance to it...he tends to approach topics with more of a slant and more of an outcome in mind, and then talks about conclusions without getting into the details of why. As an investigative journalist, he sucks. Add to that I find his persona off-putting.

Now if Barbara Walters were doing the segment, I'd be more apt to watch because I feel she takes her job VERY seriously and tries to actually explain the details to viewers. She isn't as sensationalist as Stossel (vast understatement), and as far as her persona, I find it pleasant.

Croc, isn't she on "the view" now? i know tons of people think they know how to fix problems (barber shops? lol ), but anyone that "hosts" a show like that can't still be considered one of america's great investigative journalists ....

I was never a big 20/20 watcher, only andy roony was somewhat fun to watch back in the day.. he was kind of a daily show segment... not in how funny it was, but it was so much lighter than the rest of it.

maybe he's just trying things like the daily show does... his content goes out of it's way to be kind of absurd, but as with some absurd things, it's really the truth, but we don't want to know or listen so we just pass it up and label it absurd, instead of having a debate about it.

I really enjoyed it, and it was dead on. Fan of Stossel, too, and have never understood what people don't like about him vs. other less than stellar reporters.

It wasn't extremely hard hitting, but the truth is just something a lot of people don't like or are unable to answer to, as this showed in little ways again.

Croc, isn't she on "the view" now? i know tons of people think they know how to fix problems (barber shops? lol ), but anyone that "hosts" a show like that can't still be considered one of america's great investigative journalists ....

Really? Are you sure you want to stand by that statement? Say what you will about The View, but Barbara Walters has won more than enough awards for her investigative journalism to be considered one of the greats, and she was quite the pioneer for women, too. Don't belittle her work.

And she still does put together the occasional special report for 20/20.

Really? Are you sure you want to stand by that statement? Say what you will about The View, but Barbara Walters has won more than enough awards for her investigative journalism to be considered one of the greats, and she was quite the pioneer for women, too. Don't belittle her work.

And she still does put together the occasional special report for 20/20.

ok ok.... maybe she is the "shinning star" that holds the view together. lol

but awards aren't what they used to be... NOBEL--->Gore. yeah. :lol:

I'm sure there are better unknown reporters than her that haven't gotten any awards.... just for counter point.